LAPL & EASA PPL

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Simon Handley

LAPL & EASA PPL

Post by Simon Handley » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:00 am

Could some tell me what the requirement is should you take out an LAPL then want to revert back to your to JAR or EASA PPL a few years later? is it just a matter of renewing your class 2 medical? I also notice on the class 2 medical certificate that it is also a valid LAPL medical certifcate as well should you have the LAPL licence.

Cookie

Re: LAPL & EASA PPL

Post by Cookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 am

The LAPL and PPL are two separate licences. If you obtain an LAPL then you will need an LAPL medical to go with that licence. A Class One or Two medical may also be used with the LAPL.

If your JAR-FCL/EASA PPL is current in every respect (licence, class rating) then you may obtain an Class Two medical to use that licence.

Note that FCL.015 states:
(c) A person shall not hold at any time more than one licence per category of aircraft
issued in accordance with Part-FCL.
Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Chris Thompson

Re: LAPL & EASA PPL

Post by Chris Thompson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:38 pm

A bit puzzled by the last statement ( . . . not allowed to have more than one licence etc.). I have a full US licence, a JAR (now deemed to be EASA) licence, a UK lifetime licence, and a Hungarian licence all of which allow me to currently fly almost anything at the moment (or at least until April 2014). I was thinking of getting a LAPL licence as well to pre-empt anything just in case my medical status should unfortunately deteriorate below the JAR 2 medical that I hold now. Maybe you can clarify the FCL statement - can I hold a LAPL and a JAR/EASA licence at the same time - Jon?