Did you know you can now email flight plans ?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Graeme Bird

Did you know you can now email flight plans ?

Post by Graeme Bird » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Apparently, according to heathrow FBU we can now email flight plans using the web site www.flightplanningonline.co.uk Although.... I am still waiting to receive my login.

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 am

Its a very convoluted system to get into.

For instance you have to have a password containing upper and lower case characters and numbers with no recognizable words in it, so you'll end up with it stuck on a post-it by your computer thereby negating any attempt to improve security.

You also need to have a 7 character pass-phrase and enter 3 of the characters from it when you log in.

Having got through all that, the flight plan submission isn't too bad, though you do have to complete the addressing manually, as only departure, destination and alternates are selected automatically.

I haven't tried it in earnest yet, so can't comment on that.

I suspect that those of us who just have the occasional cross-channel jaunt might find fax machine and telephone easier.

p.s. It took about 3 weeks for my login to arrive and then it didn't work without intervention of the help desk.

Good luck.

David Broom

Post by David Broom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:36 pm

I've used the system a few times now and I agree with Mark regarding the log in process. It seems hideously secure for the application, far more secure than a lot of on line banking arrangements. The system itself seems easy and quick to use. A brief call to London Information after leaving the strip opens the flight plan in a similar way to the existing 'faxed to Heathrow' approach. I guess it is down to familiarity, once you get used to it then it is as easy as faxing. The on line checking of a lot of the data you enter is also useful in avoiding mistakes.