Are we a bunch of Old Farts?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Re: Are we a bunch of Old Farts?

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:41 am

Yes Mike, your credentials are sound.
I forgot to mention earlier but in the wash-up meeting (very appropriate) after last year's event we decided we should put a sign up by the main airside toilets to say there are showers available in the main campsite.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:43 am

To answer the original question, yes, mostly.

However we seek to disguise it, the average age is ripe. Compare and contrast with golf clubs or car clubs and I doubt there's much difference; it's a common ailment. Brian said to me a week or so back that it was the same thirty years ago, so perhaps by osmosis the clubs and organisations sneak a few in at the younger end as they shed a few at the other. To me, what matters is that we continue to encourage all yoof, support those fighting for us and enjoy it all why we can.

My worry is more about who will replace the Inspectors, particularly those whose experience and skills in traditional methods is likely to be lost.

Sartorial standards? If you judge by appearances you'll miss a great deal. On the whole, we're a bunch who dress to impress no one, but to suit the situation. Incidentally, the only person at rhe Rally last year that I noticed because she was 'smart' was the only person who argued ad tedium with the gate guardians to the aeroplanes. It was her attitude I remember now. :(

My inspector calls me the Lady Pilotess (an exaggeration in both terms)...

Ms Fart.
Nic Orchard

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Yes, it is because we are an ageing population.
I'm 55 and I AM the young blood! It took me 52 years to delude myself that I could afford to fly.
We may be old farts but we sure as Hell aren't boring and our social networking involves meeting real people and doing things that are simply too cool for the laptop lemmings.
(This said, tomorrow I shall be at the garden centre: buying paving slabs to place under my aircraft when I build it a home this weekend!) Yippee!

Mick Bevan

Post by Mick Bevan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 pm

I saw Brian Hope at AeroExpo, Sywell and he was "normally" turned out, ie, not polished to the hilt but comfy enough, I'd say. In fact, the tribe of spotters at the rail looked considerably scruffier than he.

regards
Mick

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:40 am

.............and judging by some of the hideous atrocities on view at Royal Ascot this week , I think we've got it just about right . [ even the horses must be laughing ]

And to reinforce the words of the Lady Pilotess , an idiot in smart clothing is still an idiot .

By the way , where did the chap who initiated the original posting go , do you think we've beaten him into submission ?

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Only just read this thread. Here in the USA I recently joined an organization known as the UFOs, standing for United Flying Octogenarians. The first fly in that I attended at Lakeland (Home of Sun n' Fun) was attended by 39 pilots over 80! The requirement to be a member is to have piloted an aircraft after reaching 80. And I was surprised at how young the attendees looked!