Non EASA aircraft and NON EASA Radio - OK ?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

g-strk

Non EASA aircraft and NON EASA Radio - OK ?

Post by g-strk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

I have a Non-EASA :D aircraft (CFM Streak Shadow) and am considering the possibility of installing a Non-EASA radio (MGL Avionics VHF-6 or similar) to meet the 8.33khz requirement.
Is this OK ? ..... or will someone somewhere say ... you can't fly here with a Non-EASA radio.
a) in the UK ?
b) in europe ?
I have scanned through some of the EASA documentation and can find nothing specific on this topic.
Many Thanks.
Erik Hadley

Brian Hope

Re: Non EASA aircraft and NON EASA Radio - OK ?

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm afraid unless equipment is CAA, JAA or EASA approved you are not legally permitted to use it in either an EASA or an Annex 11 aircraft.

From LAA Technical leaflet 3.03

4. Equipment Approval
All radio equipment including portable equipment installed in UK aircraft must be of a ‘type’ approved by the CAA or EASA or JAA. Usually the equipment manufacturer or importer will have dealt with this matter. Details of radio types that have been approved are provided on the CAA, EASA and JAA websites. The applicable CAA, EASA and JAA website addresses are listed on the CAA form DAP 1902 (ACT 1 1001) mentioned above. If in doubt about the status of new equipment, check with the supplier or contact the CAA, Tel. 01293 573134. Note that equipment obtained abroad, and even the latest products from well established manufacturers such as ICOM is sometimes found to be of a type that is not approved by CAA, EASA or JAA. Aircraft imported or found fitted with non-approved equipment will need to have that equipment removed.