Lord Carlile report on terrorism

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Peter Harvey

Lord Carlile report on terrorism

Post by Peter Harvey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Dear Pilots
Several members have contacted me regarding the media reporting surrounding Lord Carlile's recent report on terrorism threats and the specific mention of light aircraft.

Clearly, logic indicates that considerable skill is required to start, taxi and pilot an aircraft. There are numerous easier avenues available to potential terrorists and it's our view that since many threats exist, the police are better assisted by us not adding to the media frenzy.

We are in process of making more discrete approaches, to hopefully enlist a more balanced apprisal of the threats and its reporting.

Peter Harvey
LAA CEO.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Thanks for that Peter.

Please let us know how it goes.

Rod1

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Listening to what the report said about Light Aircraft (I think they also mean Biz Jets) & potential terrorism uses I thought to myself "Why give them ideas".

Bob F

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:58 pm

I'm beginning to get really tired of all this terrorist scaremongering which only causes fear and ammunition to curtail freedoms.

Every single day 10 people die in GB road accidents day in day out ie 3500 people a year and thousands more maimed or seriously injured.

Thats 24000 people in GB since 9/11 killed in GB 3000 odd people in the USA and 10000 people killed since 50 people died in the London bombs in July 2005.

Banning cars anyone? or mandating transponders on all vehicles - or require mandatory speed limiters to be fitted at next MOT. or make all road one way or maybe a central barrier on all roads (sic)

Get a grip you politicians and police - therein lies madness

The 9/11 terrorists trained to fly jets so the skill required is not a preventative issue

I can think of many ways to mass kill - a lorry packed with explosives, ships , trains, football matches, shopping malls , olympics etc etc - and I guess the terrorist if they want to will try.

You cant stop this by restricting everything - yes use intelligence to root them out at source - but stop banging on about it all the time - life is for living - and dying one day too - somehow - stop scaring us all to bl**dy death and boring us rigid too.

Steve