Quiet French airfields

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Fineair

Quiet French airfields

Post by Fineair » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:57 pm

I mean to make a flying visit to a few northern French fields but I am wondering if as a non fluent French speaker and in an G reg a/c how welcome I will be. I have read non local French pilots are not welcome or are even prohibited from any airfield without ATC. Since most smaller French field are AFIS or non radio does this rule out most of them as destinations for me?

More particularly does anyone have any recent experience of Laon Chambry (LFAF)?

Regards

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:49 am

Fineair, it never ceases to amaze me some of the tales that get put about. First of all you will certainly be welcome at French airfields whether you speak the language or not. The Club frequency - often but not always 123.5 - is used quite extensively at smaller airfields. It is a position reporting service, very much like our Safetycom, the idea being that aircraft operating at the field let everyone else know where they are. You must prefix each call with the name of the airfield, and if you make the calls in English then at the very least any local traffic will know there's a stranger on the way in and will be extra vigilant.
Delage or Bottlang will provide airfield details. There is a website that also has this info, I do not have it to hand but I'm sure John Dean knows it and hopefully he'll read this and post it.
There are some airfields that are restricted to use by home based aircraft, but if you particularly want to visit that area you could apply for permission in advance.
Haven't been into Laon for a couple of years or so, most important thing is to keep an eye out for parachutists there, probably not a good idea to join from the overhead if they are dropping. Their 'Auto info' frequency, is 123.35, and like the Club frequency you will almost certainly not get a response, ocassionally a helpful pilot may come back in English and tell you the runway in use though.
Out of interest, the interesting part of Laon town (within the ramparts) is much farther from the airfield than it looks, unless you're a seasoned yomper I'd take a taxi!

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:16 am

Brian Hope wrote: There is a website that also has this info,
It's the official French AIP.

Then click on "VAC Aerodromes" followed by "VAC Aerodromes in force" and select the airfield you want information on from the list.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 am

Have just returned from a week's flying holiday to France and, as mentioned previously, you will be made most welcome. Laon is definitely worth a visit though the airfield was deserted when we visited (mid week) a few years ago. Then, as if by magic, at 1401 someone turned up!

My French isn't that good either so I suggest you avoid Amiens unless you arrive between 1200 and 1400. The lady in the tower did insist on speaking rapid French! Otherwise you will rarely ever get a reply from "small" airfield frequencies.
TN

johnM

Post by johnM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:48 am

I went into Amiens last year in the lunch hours and got a b********g from the Customs gendarme for landing on the hard and for speaking english on the radio!
He then proceeded to inspect everything, including my spare glasses, but didn't ask to see our passports. C'est la vie!

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:21 pm

If you want to break your duck and need a hand,a couple of us are going to St.Omer this friday after work,coming back Sat afterlunch.
This airfield is probably the best place to go for a first time because it is nearby, extremely friendly and serves good beer.
You are very welcome to join us (as is anyone reading this).PM me if you need any help Planning etc.,maybe we can meet up this side of the channel.
I plan to camp but there are very good cheap hotels available.
The weather is looking good at the moment and I even have a seat spare at the moment!
Could this be an impromptu BB fly out? ....Over to you Capt. Pulsar!

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:26 am

An excellent suggestion JC, and one that surely deserves further consideration. Unfortunately I will be in France on Friday anyway, performing an important task of testing French tarmac on my Honda.

However, I think a BB fly out to St Omer is a splendid idea. Post it up when you next are going.