Google Nexus 7 mounting

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rob Swain

Google Nexus 7 mounting

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:03 pm

What mounts are people using to attach a Nexus 7 to the dash / screen / airframe, when using SkyDemon etc?

I've nosed around for a specific mount for this tablet but all I seem to find are rather suspect looking 'universal' ones that look as though they'd lose the tablet if you tried to use the touchscreen...

I'm not interested in a kneeboard - there seen to be plenty of options for this. I want something I don't have to bend down to use.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

John Dean

Re: Google Nexus 7 mounting

Post by John Dean » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:37 pm

I acquired one of the new Nexus 7's just before the Rally and used it with a trial version of Skydemon on the way to Sywell with it lying on the passenger seat. That wasn't very successful as glancing down took my eyes away from looking out for too long and I couldn't see that having it on a kneepad would be any better.

I managed to get a very good deal on a RAM mount from one of the traders at the Rally and whilst not cheap, it's very well made and versatile. It consists of a universal tablet mount and a suction grip which I used on the way home on the right hand side of the canopy in the Jodel. Wasn't happy with that and then mounted it on the left of the canopy where it's reasonably close to my line of vision but doesn't obstruct my view of any of the instruments and on a couple of short trips have found that very acceptable.

Before the Rally, I looked at a number of mounts on ebay and having had experience with GPS suction mounts in the car, wasn't very happy with any of them. If the suction gives up, your delicate Nexus drops onto the cockpit floor!!

Give me another month or two and I'll let you know if I still think the RAM mount is worth it.

justin_c

Post by justin_c » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:37 am

Morning Rob

A Ram mount that attaches to the rear of the yoke worked very well for me in the Cessna 172
or you can get something that straps to your knee
Justin Collins

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies.

Not keen on the kneeboard approach, and don't have a yoke what with the RV having a stick.

I have a Skydemon MD and that had a suction mount that worked OK until the winter when the cold rendered it non pliable enought to be useless - used the front of the mount (including the socket of the ball and socket arrangement) and built a clip arrangement with a turned brass ball instead. I'd probably go down the same road again if I could find something to scurely clip the tablet into.

I looked at the Ram mount at the Rally, but didn't have anything tablet-like to try in it. I'll bear that one in mind.
Rob Swain

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Rob, I'm using this http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/igrip-t5-376 ... patibility for my Nexus 7 but the suction mount part is too long for my Jodel panel (brings it too close to my face) so I'm making up a U bracket from 2.5mm commercial ali to attach the universal joint. Will post photos if and when successful.
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:17 pm

I bought a Nexus 7 cover for general protection of the beast - £5 on ebay.

I found the clip-on surround held really well so bought another, glued it to an aly plate, then fashioned a mount bracket and rivetted that to the back of it.

Proved more than capable of holding the tablet securely and close in line of sight on the dash.
Rob Swain

fuzzflyer

Post by fuzzflyer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi, my system is a piece of alloy with ends formed in such a way that the nexus front cover slides into it, hope that's clear.. The alloy piece is bolted to the dash, simple and very effective.

I have tried various cup style mounts , all had issues,
Ian Foster

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

Peter Gorman

Post by Peter Gorman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Industrial strength Velcro sticks my Nexus 7 very firmly to a plywood backing plate (too firmly at first, I had to put duct tape over some of the Velcro to avoid damage). The wooden plate is attached via a ball joint to a suction holder device onto the side of the windshield. All works ok except the suction detaches at higher altitudes, usually at some inconvenient moment. I am looking to making up something to be bolted to the airframe instead and also save some weight.

The ergonomics are important, the Nexus must be located just where I can look down through small reading lens panels in my clear glasses (or sunglasses), so I can glance at the screen without moving my head. A kneeboard would be no use for this.

By the way does anyone know where one can buy clear glasses (i.e. no correction in the lens) with a reading panel at the bottom of the lens? These seem to have gone off the market in the USA where I used to get them. The stick-on lenses Aircraft Spruce used to sell also became unavailable.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

I don't know about clear glasses, Peter, but there are some sunglasses advertised in one of the magazines with a reading lens and when I enquired about these they cost over £100!

I ended up at Specsavers and got a pair of bifocals with a prescription reading lens at half the price and have been very happy with them.

However, could you please ask them to stop making the writing on the half million map smaller every year??