Kitfox ferry flight

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

dermotfahy

Kitfox ferry flight

Post by dermotfahy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Hello all, I am new to this forum as I have just recently purchased a Kitfox (group A). The Kitfox is currently located near Canterbury and I am wondering could anybody help steer me in the right direction as to where I could get someone who could fly it to northern Ireland. I am a commercial helicopter pilot and don't as of yet fly fixed wing. If any instructor would be available it would be great as I would love to go along for the flight and learn a bit on the journey.
Thanks,
DF
Dermot Fahy

jangiolini

Re: Kitfox ferry flight

Post by jangiolini » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:49 am

Hi I have an Avid speedwing which is a similar aircraft. Is your Kitfox a taildragger or tricycle? does it have a 2 or 4 stroke engine does it have the large or small or even single fuel tank? My questions are relevant due to the time of year (weather) and distance to be covered plus a sea crossing. My suggestions maybe to consider borrowing a trailer and move it North then fly the last leg across from Macrihanish to N.I. Its the shortest sea crossing! I would look at leaving from Strathaven or Cumbernauld! Although Cairnryan is a possibility direct across slightly longer over water.! May sound a bit of a pain but it really depends on engines fitted etc.
Regards John.
John Angiolini

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Fly it up in legs. One flight at a time. Aircraft are better looking in the air than on a trailer.

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:40 pm

I agree totally but in Britain, and being practical, that could take months at this time of the year!!!
John Angiolini

dermotfahy

Post by dermotfahy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 pm

The aircraft reg is G-BPKK, it has a rotax 582. I would prefer the aircraft to be flown back. I will obviously cover any expenses. I just think it would be a nice journey for somebody, and I do think planes are better off being flown that distance rather than on a trailer.
Dermot Fahy

GuyGratton

Post by GuyGratton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but can certainly both fly and instruct on type - would just need to double check that as a CRI I'm allowed to teach fixed wing to a rotary pilot but I think I am, and am content about the joys and complexities of flying to Ireland (and the joys and complexities of owning a 582 !). I have a friendly relationship with a school in England who are good with me instructing offsite and have a tame examiner, but not sure if that extends outside the UK.

If you don't get an offer from anybody more immediately available, drop me an email to GuyG (at) aircraftmail (dot) com, and I'll have a peer at my diary for October and double check the instructor rating privileges.

I absolutely agree, flying is much much better for aeroplanes than trailering.

GuyGratton

Post by GuyGratton » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 am

Postscript, I looked up the regulations over breakfast.

- So far as I can tell a CRI (so that's me, or for that matter most/all of the LAA coaches - which I'm not one of, but the qualification is the same) can teach a CPL(H) or ATPL(H) holder for issue of a PPL(A)

- UK would allow 10% off the training hours because of your helicopter licence, Ireland, JAA and EASA seem silent on the subject.

- Training has to be within an ATO or RTO. So, it's possible that ATO/RTO might not accept hours that a freelance instructor flew with you on a ferry trip. On the other hand, they might and the only sensible thing to do is ask them. That of-course doesn't stop you flying with an instructor on the trip and learning useful stuff - just that it might not count towards the minimum hours for the PPL(A).

Realistically, the only way to do the bulk of the 40.5 hours training in your own aeroplane, in British or Irish weather systems, is very close to home. (I'm guessing you worked that out for yourself already!)

Still glad to help if you haven't sorted this by next month.

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 am

Okay okay! I get it! Trailering is for wooses Was only making a suggestion as a possible solution to the ferrying issue! I would be happy to look at flying the route as a pilot with yourself as a copilot but unfortunately I am not an instructor. I do have around 50 hours on type and presuming the 582 is properly setup then should be an informative flight for you. Is the engine oil injected or premix? how many hours are there on the engine? Is it a blue top or grey top? Do you have a transponder? what is the duration of the aircraft?
Regards John.
John Angiolini

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 am

dermotfahy wrote:Hello all, I am new to this forum as I have just recently purchased a Kitfox (group A). The Kitfox is currently located near Canterbury and I am wondering could anybody help steer me in the right direction as to where I could get someone who could fly it to northern Ireland. I am a commercial helicopter pilot and don't as of yet fly fixed wing. If any instructor would be available it would be great as I would love to go along for the flight and learn a bit on the journey.
Thanks,
DF
DF,

When are you looking at doing this? I can send a message to all LAA Coaches if you wish, and depending on timing I may be able to assist.

All the best,

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 am

- Training has to be within an ATO or RTO. So, it's possible that ATO/RTO might not accept hours that a freelance instructor flew with you on a ferry trip. On the other hand, they might and the only sensible thing to do is ask them.
Guy,

An ATO should not certify hours flown by a freelance instructor as counting towards an approved course, since a course certificate must be issued upon completion for the Flight Examiner to check. An examiner must check that the required experience has been met prior to starting the test. If the application is subsequently refused by the CAA due to non-approved hours being included, the applicant may appeal via Regulation 6 and the school may then become responsible for any costs involved, including a re-test.

If you are conducting training under an ATO then this would require training records to be submitted and transferred IAW your flying school's Operations Manual or Flying Order Book.

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

GuyGratton

Post by GuyGratton » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Agreed Jon.

I "freelance" under the auspices of a school occasionally. Use their paperwork, notify the CFI by text of my flights, and agree what I'm doing with him in advance plus he then examines any students. Presumably if I can do it with one school, it can be done again with their prior agreement.

That said, the OP is in Ireland, so local rules may differ, and regardless it's the core ATO that matters. Hence my "the only sensible thing to do is ask them".

G

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Why not make it easy for everyone and fly P1 with him as passenger?
He can waggle the levers about a bit on the way. No need to complicate matters.

dermotfahy

Post by dermotfahy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! To answer some of the questions. The engine and prop are relatively new with 80 hours on both. It has just been inspected for a permit renewal and just needs test flown now and everything was ok. Endurance I'm not sure about but will check (pardon my ignorance, fixed wing is new to me) . Time is my issue, I work in the Middle East on a 6 weeks on/6 weeks off rotation and go back to the sand pit at the end of the month. I know best laid plans to fly it will be hampered by weather etc. I am not concerned if I got to log the time or not. I have checked again yesterday and the price of the ferry has greatly reduced as its now off peak so that option is starting to look better. With the weather here in Ireland today I think even the birds are on the ground!

Dermot.
Dermot Fahy

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Having made numerous ferry flights, I would be happy to discuss this off line from this forum ( I hate typing ) if you wish. As mentioned by other folk, the weather at this time of year can be a real nuisance but with numerous hops and allowing time to spare it should be possible. For initial planning purposes, you don't mention the actual start point, actual destination, range of the aircraft nor whether it is premix or oil fed.

Unfortunately you must also bear in mind that the expenses go up in proportion to the weather because of potential forced overnight stops. I have flown a lot in Scotland (and done the shortest crossing to Ireland) and the weather can be quite changeable and there are not too many airfields around as alternates.

I would not contemplate flying that distance without an immersion suit or a PLB.

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 pm

I see that the "ferry " flight got solved OK when it disappeared from the field on a trailer.
Hope all went OK but the ferry fare must have cost a bit with the trailer and car.
If I still had a medical I would have done it for the fun.
Graham
Graham Dawes