https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -challenge

And here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... il&id=5838

Time will tell.

John.

neilld

Re: Red Tape Challenge

Post by neilld » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Does anyone know if there are to be any regular updates on the progress of the many issues raised or if there will be a prioritsed list of items to be dealt with together with timescales?

David Neill
David Neill

B Davies

Post by B Davies » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:50 pm

According to the CAA published info they are setting up a new GA Unit and the RTC will form part of their agenda. The Government also set up a Challenge Panel, made up of a small number of industry experts, to hold the CAA's feet to the fire. I think their first report is being submitted some time in January.
Brian Davies

neilld

Post by neilld » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:43 am

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere but I've lost track of the progress of the CAA RTC.
The issue I would like to see progressed most is that of pilots with SEP (Group A) licences being able to log time spent flying microlight aircraft (issues No. 231 & 234 on the original RTC list)
This would enable cash strapped pilots to maintain their SEP rating at lower cost.
It seems ludicrous that there are many (otherwise identical) aircraft that are available in both SEP (Grp A) and microlight categories but only the former can be used to log flying time.
Is anyone from LAA HQ progressing this?

DFN
David Neill

Mick Bevan

Post by Mick Bevan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Get them to deal with the orphan aircraft issue, re Bolkows, Fourneirs and the like. Insisting that aircraft stay on a C of A is pointless.Also, the gyro permit issue has not been resolved, despite the announcement of acceptance of factory gyros. It has only been partially resolved and needs further tweaking.

neilld

Post by neilld » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:44 pm

neilld wrote: Is anyone from LAA HQ progressing this?

DFN
I take it it's a NO then.
David Neill

John Price

Post by John Price » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am

Why don't you drop an email with your thoughts and ideas of what should be tweaked to either Tony Rapson or Mike Bernard ( I think I've spelt them right) at the GA unit. [email protected].

I had a meeting with the CAA a couple of weeks ago and the unit is very keen on getting on with all sorts of issues.

There is at present the matter of how the CAA deals with its GA policy framework. When this is completed they will have the structure on how to progress. There is a consultation open at present and every one should have there say, this is important, as it directs the CAA on the way forwards with regards to GA and how it manages risk.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2836/CAP%2011 ... tation.pdf

I honestly believe that they are going forwards as fast as possible at present but some issues will take a little longer than others.

If you give them something simple to change then it may just happen sooner than you think.

At present, the CAA, have their Chief Exec. 2 Ministers as well as the DFT and all of us (GA) looking at them to start making change so they are under pressure to do just that. Like most large corporations they operate like a super tanker, slow to change direction, but when they do, difficult to stop.

My thoughts.

John.

neilld

Post by neilld » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for the feeedback, I will try the CAA GA direct but shan't hold my breath.
I see they have yet another consultation on the go to "direct the CAA on the way forwards with regards to GA and how it manages risk."
It's disappointing that they have to consult on this, can't they work it out for themselves?
The GA Program Manager has been in place for something like two years,it would be interesting to find out what GA programs he has managed in this time.
Perhaps more transparency & feedback is required, these people are, after all, civil servands paid by the public.
Regarding the RTC list of issues, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to prioritise the list into categories such as "Number of GA customers to benefit", "Cost to implement change", "Time to implement change" etc.etc. After all, the SSDR/ 300 kg Microlight change got pushed through quickly enough.
David Neill

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Certficate of Revalidation.
I have done half a dozen of these over the years in support of my old 'lifetime' (Hah!) PPL (SEP) and the more recent NPPL (SSEA).
Has there been a review of the benefits - indeed do they match up with the supposed benefits when the biannual revalidation system was introduced?
If the answer is YES, then can I take it that the system was shown to be cost effective?
And if the answer is NO then I would regard that as pretty appalling and a good candidate for red tape challenge.
Richard

John Price

Post by John Price » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 pm

David/Richard,

I am aware that the CAA do read the RTC/Gold Plating on the Flyer Magazine Forum

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=74

Post your ideas there as well as going directly to the CAA. If lots of people agree then there may be more movement.

John.