Lt Av mag April

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeGodsell

Lt Av mag April

Post by MikeGodsell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 am

This month's Light Aviation mag hit the spot for me.

Particularly with the description of the new Weslake diesel. The Gemini design seemed to hold such promise yet disappeared without trace ... but now reborn in the latest Weslake design.
I have some reservations about use of common rail injection and an ECU, since this means loss of electrics means loss of the motor. However it looks like the supercharger is driven by toothed belt so loss of that belt would also stop the motor. I guess owners of this splendid new motor will be very drive belt sensitive.

Fascinating also for me was the profile of Tracey Curtis-Taylor in 'Meet the Members'. Have never met Tracey but her determination and personality come over loud and clear in the profile. She reminds me so much of the first woman pilots in British Airways that I was privileged to fly with. An amazing bunch of characters.

Thanks very much Brian.
Mike Godsell. :D

Brian Hope

Re: Lt Av mag April

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Mike, delighted that you enjoyed the Weslake article. Only the alternator is driven by the belt, the supercharger is gear driven. The electrical failure/ECU issue is one that confronts any of the 'modern' engine manufacturers, petrol or diesel, that wish to make best use of what in the auto world are actually quite old hat technologies these days. As a matter of interest I did discuss the possibility of failure of the potentiometer 'throttle' and in such a case the ECU can have a default power setting built in. I believe ECU current drain is also very low so a no charge situation would not be an immediate problem as a typical aircraft battery would cope for some time. I'll ask them about ECU failure to see what they have to say; I do know it is a very simple system compared to a typical auto application.
Rgds, Brian

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:59 pm

I'll second the praise for the LAA monthly publication. It is without doubt the best GA magazine available at the moment.

achean

Post by achean » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:05 pm

The April copy never arrived through my door. :(

Is there an electronic version available?
Jonathan Mercer

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 pm

There isn't Jon, but if you call the office, you can get Penny to post you a replacement. Mine was late, but arrived just as Penny was about to send a replacement.
Ian Melville

achean

Post by achean » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:44 pm

As ever, Ian, you're the man with the knowledge. The office were very helpful, so thank you for the steer to Ian, and thank you to the office for posting out another copy. :)
Jonathan Mercer