Fuel (Unleaded)

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

G-TERN

Fuel (Unleaded)

Post by G-TERN » Wed May 14, 2014 4:57 pm

A quick question about unleaded fuel. I am confused about the grades/ types of "car" type petrol that I am allowed to use in principle in my plane (Rotax 912ULS). I fully understand that we are not allowed to use any containing ethanol.

In the past I have used what I would call bog standard unleaded - the same (cheapest) one that I put in my wife's Renault Clio. (95 grade I think?) but certainly round our way it all contains ethanol now. The higher, more expensive grades did not used to contain ethanol (not sure now, not tested any for a while). I was under the impression that we were only allowed to use this bog standard grade and not the higher grades but have never found reference to that. I also seem to remember reading, fairly recently, that the higher grade fuel have now been approved for use (but again can't remember where I read it!).

So, quite simply, what grades of unleaded (ethanol free) fuel am I allowed to use? If the higher grades are in fact allowed, are all the retailer's forecourt fuels basically the same; super, ultra, max, supersonic nuclear fusion etc etc...?

Because of the ethanol thing, where I can I like to use the UL91 but don't have an outlet really close to me. I also use the occasional tank of 100LL but don't think this is the best for the Rotax.
Jonathan Smith

Ian Melville

Re: Fuel (Unleaded)

Post by Ian Melville » Wed May 14, 2014 7:06 pm

I was under the impression that we were only allowed to use this bog standard grade and not the higher grades but have never found reference to that.
I do recall something like that, and there was an agreement that one met and exceeded the other so it was now OK. BS and EN numbers or sumat. I'll have a look for it tomorrow when I think I will have a bit of time.
Ian Melville

G-TERN

Post by G-TERN » Thu May 15, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.
Jonathan Smith

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Thu May 15, 2014 8:24 am

If it conforms to EN228 and does not contain Ethanol then you are good to go.

Alan Radford
Alan Radford

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu May 15, 2014 9:03 am

Your first reference should be here, however the first section still says RON95 Only, but later RON95 (min)
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... _main.html

Background
MikeB wrote: There's been a couple of threads recently about the use of BS7800 Super Unleaded Mogas, and whether the fuel complies with EN228. In those threads, I had said that that initial LAA advice that BS7800 does not comply with EN228 due to differing vapour pressure requirements was incorrect.

I was contacted by Barry Plumb of the LAA today, and we discussed the various volatility specifications, which are rather complex, particularly so for EN228. However, the upshot of the conversation is that he now agrees with me that BS7800 fully complies with all volatility specs in UK spec EN228. Barry says that he is going to advise LAA Engineering accordingly, and the information will be promulgated to LAA members via the LAA website, forum and monthly mag etc in due course.

So, good news for those who prefer to use Super Unleaded, but the caveat (as with any mogas) is that the fuel should still be tested for ethanol by the prescribed method prior to use.
MikeB wrote:Ive just read further through various annexes to the very latest EN228 spec - it seems BS7800 is being withdrawn altogether and the EN228 spec will also apply to Super Unleaded, albeit with an increased RON and MON. In fact the EN228 spec Annex ND says as follows for Super Unleaded:
With reference to tables 1 and 2 of BS EN228:2012, the requirements for Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON) of the grade of petrol previously described as "High octane (super) unleaded petrol" in BS 7800:2006(3), and which are now adopted in this standard, are as follows:

RON 97.0 minimum
MON 86.0 minimum

All other requirements are identical with those specified in this edition of BS EN228:2012
(My bold)

Surely there can no longer be any doubt that UK Super Unleaded can legally be used in an a/c cleared for fuel meeting EN228
Malcolm McBride's note in July's 2013 LA, p49:
"Therefore we can revise our advice to pilots that if they can no longer source ethanol free 95RON fuel but can obtain 97+RON fuel which complies with BS EN228, then it is a legally acceptable alternative. Again, the only priviso here is that the fuel must contain no alcohol. So, it looks like Mogas is back on the menu for aircraft that are cleared to use it."
Ian Melville

G-TERN

Post by G-TERN » Thu May 15, 2014 10:02 am

Many thanks Alan, and Ian for the attached references. It was those references I could (just) remember reading but couldn't for the life of me remember where or when. Cheers!
Jonathan Smith

Jerry B1

Post by Jerry B1 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Well it seems we can now use ethanol contaminated fuel. See
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... il&id=6253
Jerry Bodnarec

gregorp

Post by gregorp » Thu May 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Yes, I've read it three times and I think that is what it says!
Pete Gregory

davejnr69

Post by davejnr69 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:39 pm

I filled a couple of jerry cans up today with Super unleaded at the local Murco which, according to the pump, was EN228 compliant. As normal I tested it and it is still ethanol free.
David Hill

T Wilcock

Post by T Wilcock » Sat May 31, 2014 8:52 am

I believe that a couple of earlier posts indicate misreading of IN-2014/092. My understanding is that if you were allowed to use EN228 with alcohol prior to the issue of this notice you can continue to do so. If you were only allowed to use alcohol-free EN228 you will not be able to in the future because the CAA plan to amend GC No 5 because "alcohol-free EN228 is no longer available in the UK". They are misinformed, as indicated by davejnr69's message. I have also been able obtain alcohol-free EN228 from Murco and Esso in the Bristol area in the last few days (though Shell showed added alcohol). I talked with Phil Hall yesterday and he is taking it up with the CAA, but I suggest that if you are still able to get alcohol-free EN228 you drop an e-mail to the address on the IN ([email protected]) indicating where and from which supplier you were able to get it, so that they are aware that their IN is premature.
Trevor Wilcock

T Wilcock

Post by T Wilcock » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 am

When I posted my message on Saturday I had not seen the LAA news item at http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... mogas.html . I was at Sywell yesterday and talked to the LAA and CAA and obtained a better understanding of where things stand. The LAA news item gives a clearer position of the way forward on examining the effects of ethanol and the additional freedoms that will be given to the LAA to explore this through amendment of the existing GC No 5. While this is covered to some extent by para 2.4 of IN-2014/092 it has been confused by the CAA being given to believe, by the various suppliers of fuel, that alcohol-free EN228 is no longer being distributed, hence para 3.1 of IN-2014/092. However this is clearly not the case, as your several responses show.

I yesterday agreed to give Mike Barnard information on where I knew alcohol-free EN228 is still available. Having stirred this matter up, I am happy to act as a focal point for this information, so I'd be grateful if you could let me know where you are still able to get alcohol-free EN228. I plan to talk to my local supplier, Murco Westerleigh (Bristol) today on their plans for introduction of the addition of alcohol (with 95RON they continued until late 2013, many months beyond most sources), and if you are able to get information from your local distribution depots I would be pleased to hear their positions. Equally (as I'm sure will happen with time), if you find that your source of alcohol-free EN228 has been lost please let me know. Replies please to [email protected] or on this forum.
Trevor Wilcock