Recommendations for Headsets

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

faramog

Recommendations for Headsets

Post by faramog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi,

Need to get a pair of headsets and appart from someone recommending Lightspeed Zulu 2 (at 650 notes each), dont know. Need whole ear cover with some level of ANR/ VOX

Thoughts ?

Ta
Graham Prebble

John Price

Re: Recommendations for Headsets

Post by John Price » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Bose

Expensive but fab!

John.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Lynx Relai - never let me down.

achean

Post by achean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am

The Zulu PFX will be out at the end of this month. I would expect it to be priced similarly to the Bose A20's, but will reportedly have better ANR. I also find the Lightspeeds to be more comfortable.
Jonathan Mercer

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I've got a pair of DC headsets converted to ANR by Richard Holder (you can buy the kit to do this yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron; can supply Richard's details if you want). Very happy with these: I use them in an open-cockpit aircraft and can hear the radio!

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:23 am

What type of aeroplane do you plan to use them in Graham ? As Nick says , flying in an open cockpit can narrow the choice down a little.
But even so , you can do a lot worse than a good old pair of DC's , which have been the industry norm for many , many years now, and their noise reduction standards meet CAA and FAA/TSO s requirements.
Don't be misguided into thinking that a headset costing £1,000 is four times better than one costing £250, as a lot of the high-end products with enhanced noise attenuation and Bluetooth/wireless capability are aimed principally at the airlines and adding the GA tag is just a means of expanding their sales network.
I personally use a leather flying helmet , which was custom built by Headset Services at Shoreham www.headsetservices.com which they adapted to contain David Clark components . It cost me £325 in 2006. It's worked superbly and I'm told it makes me look a bit Darth Vader once the goggles are down . But I'd probably look a bit of a prat wearing it in a C152 though. :?

faramog

Post by faramog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Nick .. Which DC headset are you talking about and some contact details for Richard Holder would be good - I will have a look (pretty good with a soldering iron !)

Cheers
G
Nick Allen wrote:I've got a pair of DC headsets converted to ANR by Richard Holder (you can buy the kit to do this yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron; can supply Richard's details if you want). Very happy with these: I use them in an open-cockpit aircraft and can hear the radio!
Graham Prebble

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:29 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure which mark of DC headset I have! Just a bog-standard one...though when Richard did the conversion, he also supplied new gel seals.

The electronics come from here: http://www.headsetsinc.com/ANR_kits.html

Richard can be found here: http://www.anrman.co.uk/ANRconvkit.html

By the way, Richard sometimes has for sale second-hand sets that he has converted.

Red Comet

Post by Red Comet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

Take a look at Quiet Technologies Halo or Clarity headsets. Very light and passive noise reduction.
I have the QT Halo.
Peter Noonan

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 pm

The Sennheiser ANR headsets are very good value, and work well.

I know a commercial pilot who uses a set for work flying 737s, so they appear to be durable enough.

Only issue I have had is the older model ones sit on rather than over the ears which I found uncomfortable (always feel like they are going to fall off). I tried the new ones on at Expo and they are much better in this regard.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.