ELT/PLB in France

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

gregorp

ELT/PLB in France

Post by gregorp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 pm

I notice that the French require PtF aircraft to have an ELT. Does anyone know if a PLB is acceptable?
Pete Gregory

tnowak

Re: ELT/PLB in France

Post by tnowak » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:12 am

I think this topic came up a few years ago and, I believe, the general consensus war that a PLB was acceptable in PtF aeroplanes.
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

tim_bailey125

Post by tim_bailey125 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:37 pm

I am taking my PtF aircraft abroad next week for an extensive tour of Europe and taking a PLB, so I will let you know if I get into any trouble!

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am

Where does it say that permit aircraft require an ELT?
It always used to be that C of A aircraft required an ELT, but permit aircraft (French designation CNRA) did not.
I don't have one and never been asked for one. I would say that if the French regulations say ELT, then only an ELT will do if you are asked for one, the French are always very relaxed, but if they come to check paperwork and things, they are very much to the letter of the law.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:41 am

Tony is correct, this did come up a while ago. The French DGAC published an AIC in 2008 outlining the requirements. French Permit type aircraft (CDNR etc) and microlights are specifically excluded from the requirement but are recommended to carry either an ELT or a PLB.

It appears that the interpretaion of the rules by the French authorities is that the exclusion of the requirement to carry an ELT or PLB is solely applicable to French microlights and 'permit types' and not our UK Permit to Fly. A member reports that he was ramp checked at Abbeville three years ago and was specifically asked for his PLB. When he questioned the exclusion of permit types he was told that the UK Permit to Fly was not listed (only French euivelents are) so it was not excluded from the requirement. So, if you are flying in France you need either an ELT or a PLB to comply with their interpretation of the regulations.

Full details in English are available here: https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr ... _10_EN.pdf

gregorp

Post by gregorp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks for the info Brian. Will have to lash out yet a few more quid!!
Pete Gregory