Heading to Europe - Advice Welcome

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tim_bailey125

Heading to Europe - Advice Welcome

Post by tim_bailey125 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Next week I will be heading off to Europe in my PtF A22-LS Foxbat and I would be interested to hear from anyone who is willing to share recent experience that they have had over there, especially anything that is specific to PtF aircraft.

My route is Gloucester - Hilversum - Prague Letnany - Zagreb - Split - Salerno (Sea crossing) and then into a small strip near Naples where I will be staying for a while.

Using the information in TL2.08 I have attempted to get permission to fly in Belgium and the Czech Republic, but have had no response as yet. I will be interested to see what happens there. I am also awaiting PPR responses, but the route remains flexible just in case. I have taken into account the need for customs due to visiting Croatia and have fitted all of the required equipment to the aircraft to make it leagal (I hope).

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I will be sure to report back.

tnowak

Re: Heading to Europe - Advice Welcome

Post by tnowak » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:26 am

For Belgium you are supposed to apply for a permit. These contact details worked a few weeks ago when I applied for mine:

Commercial Air Transport Department
CCN – Rue du progrès 80, Box 5 - 1030 Brussels
2nd floor
Fax: 02 277 42 56
[email protected] Tel.: 02/277.43.44
[email protected] Tel.: 02/277.43.43
[email protected] Tel.: 02/277.44.04

I think they generally require a few weeks notice and the fee is Eur 94 for one year permit (valid for a max of 30 days flying in the "permit" year).
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 am

When I went to Czech a few years ago, I asked the Czech CAA for permission and was told that it wasn't required, they quoted me part of their AIP which said as much, although this was actually for ultralights, they seemed to apply it to all permit to fly aircraft. A Foxbat is certainly classified as an Ultralight there.
Watch out for the rabbit holes at Letnany!
If you are flying to Hilversum from the UK, I would go along the Belgian coast and not over Belgium and thus save the 94 Euro rip off! Im told Ostend are sometimes funny with people if you don't have a mode S transponder, as are the Dutch, although I believe you can fly below 1200ft in Holland without one (but check the latest regulations) people said that in practice, at least the Dutch mil controllers were more relaxed and let you fly at any levels.
I think most countries don't have the strange British idea of PPR by telephone, if the airfield is open according to the times in the AIP and there are no notams, then it is open for you and you can land, they probably don't know why you are asking for PPR. Ive never asked for PPR anywhere abroad and never been told off for not doing so.
I understand fuel is sometimes an issue in Italy, but never flown there myself, I think around Naples, the Mafia stealing your stuff and then trying to sell it back to you is more a problem!!

have a great trip

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Can I ask where you're heading to near Naples? I've got a friend (Italian) with a plane in that neck of the woods... I'm heading that way myself next week, but sadly by car.

Best, Nick

tim_bailey125

Post by tim_bailey125 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Tony: Thanks for the info. I did apply to the first address that you mentioned but the email bounced back. I will try the others as I hve not come across those before. If it doesn't work, I will take the sea route and hopefully avoid putting my life raft to the test!

Nigel: Sound advice I think! I took the plunge and invested in a Mode S transponder, so hopefully I wont have any issues there. The PPR advice is good to hear, as I was a bit concerned about being told-off for showing-up unannounced. I need to be a bit braver I think!! I think I have got around the fuel issue by purchasing an aircraft that will take standard unleaded. I am working for NATO and get tax free fuel out there, so it is a bit of a sweet deal!

Nick: I will be basing the plane out of a small strip called Air Patria, just north of Naples on the coast. I would be more than happy to try and meet up with you at some point if you are in the same area. I figured I could offer my services to the mafia in order to keep them off my back :wink:

Regards,

Tim

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Tim, I've sent a pm...