Lithiam Iron batteries

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

howard bradley

Lithiam Iron batteries

Post by howard bradley » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Gents ,
The heavy lead acid battery is slowly being replaced with the Lithiam Iron Battery ( Shorai ) is one type ,
It has a better cranking power and weighs 70% less than the lead acid has anyone fitted one or do you know of anyone who has , the only possible problem is the charge from an alternator , but perhaps a voltage controller could be used in circuit , interested if anyone knows any ref to this
Howard

tnowak

Re: Lithiam Iron batteries

Post by tnowak » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 am

I don't know anything about the model of battery you mention, but I do know that the correct charging regime is VERY important for lithium ion batteries.
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Zodiac

Post by Zodiac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Not sure if this is relevant to you but I have always used a Red Top 25 type racing battery to start our plane and its now about 9 years old and still going strong, a bit more expensive then your standard lead acid but lighter and far better I think.
Stephen Foreman

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi, just wanted to be sure what we are talking about as Howard mentions Lithiam (Lithium) Iron. I think he means Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (LiFePO4) as distinct from Litium-Ion.

These are a relatively new technology and very suited to traction applications as well as starter batteries. I have seen a surprisingly small and surprisingly light one start an O-200 with ease. This one came from a company called who mainly sold to motor sport users but the guy told us that they were being used on the Bloodhound SSC as starter batteries for the rocket fuel pump.

He did provide one warning that they do heat internally quite rapidly when cranking an engine so you can kill them by cooking them if you struggle to get the engine to run.

Hope that's useful,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Airstripflyer

Post by Airstripflyer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm

I have used a Shorai Lithium iron battery for starting my 50hp Hirth engine on my Eindecker replica for around 300 starts now. It is charged by the engine alternator. The battery weighs less than 500 grams!

Note that there is a big difference between lithium iron and lithium ion.

Mike Clark

Gerry Holland

Re: LifePO4 Batteries

Post by Gerry Holland » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:48 pm

These LifePO4 Batteries are great. Light, small and very little 'leakage' when stored but....
Never let them discharge down to their lowest threshold and that can as high as 9 Volts.
In that situation any weak or unbalanced cell will not recharge.
As each cell is about 3.3V, that will become a missing voltage during recharge.
It may be possible to repair or rebalance using Battery Management System (BMS) Tools and an additional wiring loom that connects between Charger and logic socket of Battery.
I'll let you know in the next few days.

I have a Ballistic EVO 4 with 7amp hour rating. Weighs 450 grams!
Not in use at moment. Back to sealed Lead Acid weighing 3 kg but at least it works!