pilot coach biennial issues

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

phil brookman

pilot coach biennial issues

Post by phil brookman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am

hi spoke to my coach with a view to doing my biennial he say s he cannot do it anymore because of red tape and courses he would have to do costing 3k ..
does anyone know anything about this ...
ANYTHING WHICH HINDERS OUR ACTIVITIES WITHOUT JUSTIFIABLE benefit should be resisted
anyone with any info please

Cookie

Re: pilot coach biennial issues

Post by Cookie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Phil,

Please can you contact me with details. All coaches hold a EASA CRI or FI certificate. However, there is no course which a LAA coach would have to do to maintain an instructor certificate costing anywhere near that much.

Kind regards,

Jon
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

phil brookman

Post by phil brookman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:17 pm

ok it might be easier to ask what has gone on in the last 2 yrs to add burdon to the job of being a coach ..
i will clarify from him what exactly he has now to do ..but i have got to tell you i am not impressed at all by anything which adds burdon ..

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:38 pm

For a pilot who has never instructed before, to obtain a Class Rating Instructor certificate at a commercial training organisation, the pilot must complete a Class Rating Instructor course which costs approximately £1,400 - £1,600. Then the applicant will need to complete a test (Assessment of Competence) with a Flight Instructor Examiner, typically about 1.5 hours flying plus an examiner fee.

Here's the price list for a school near me:

http://www.centralflighttraining.com/prices/

I do offer a Class Rating Instructor course in-house for suitable applicants who are selected to become a LAA coach, for whom the cost is a lot less. This is exactly the same course as conducted for CRI applicants elsewhere at a commercial organisation.

Following initial issue, a CRI certificate is issued with a validity of three years. For a coach who already holds a CRI certificate [this is what I'm assuming you're talking about], they are required to revalidate their certificate every three years in accordance with EASA requirements. The process is described in EASA Part-FCL at FCL.940.CRI and states that the applicant shall, within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the CRI certificate:
(a)(1) conduct at least 10 hours of flight instruction in the role of a CRI; or

(2) receive refresher training as a CRI at an ATO; or

(3) pass the assessment of competence in accordance for single-engine aeroplanes.

Additionally,

(b) For at least each alternate revalidation of a CRI certificate, the holder shall have to comply with the requirement of (a)(3).
This means that they can revalidate by experience at year 3, and complete a test at year 6. That's an expense of a few hundred pounds every six years to maintain a CRI certificate. Every holder of a CRI certificate must do this as it is a licensing requirement.

In addition to completing these Assessments of Competence for LAA coaches, I also provide a FREE seminar for all LAA coaches on an annual basis to ensure their knowledge is kept up to date. It is unlikely that any other CRIs receive this level of guidance and support.

I have to admit, I'm finding it difficult to answer your enquiry without more detail about where the figure you have quoted was derived from. Please send me an e-mail or call if you have any further questions.

Regards, Jon
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman