sluka fuel

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

victor simpson

sluka fuel

Post by victor simpson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Hello all
Would anybody who owns a Sluka please tell me how they fill it with fuel.
What equipment and technique do you use?
Many thanks
Victor

Bill McCarthy

Re: sluka fuel

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:46 am

A Mr Funnel is difficult to hold upright when trying to pour from a jerry can. Make up a velcro band to hold it to framework. The tank neck is quite fragile so don't rest the jerry can on the funnel. You could lash out and purchase a hand pump if you find it difficult pouring from the can.

victor simpson

Post by victor simpson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Hello again Bill,
Thanks for your reply. I use my Mr funnel on a green watering can, outside the wing area where there is more room, and then put the funnel into the jerry cans opening while I crouch down under the wing and empty the watering can into the tank. But I was intrigued what method other folk use. I have been looking to 'improve' my method if possible.
The stiff plastic pipe I have stuck onto the watering can, so I can bend it as I approach the tank neck filler, is beginning to crack. I have looked at a metal tripod idea with the funnel attached to its top and an extension pipe to the funnels' output, but the pipe needs to be quite long to reach from outside the wing area and the funnel ends up quite high to lift the jerry can to. I looked at a small electric pump idea but the output wasn,t great. Waiting for ages to fill the tank, and supplying the electric was a hassle. A hand pump system would be good but the expense of a tank etc put me off. Well enough waffle for now. Look forward to some ideas, even though there is a limited number of Sluka owners. Maybe there are similar planes with this 'problem'.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Something like this, but with a longer hose, perhaps?
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/karting/f ... jerry-cans

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Victor,

FWIW. With the equally awkward under wing fuselage side tank on the Rans S4, I used a funnel suspended on a stout cord from the shed/hangar roof with a flexible connection jammed on the funnel outlet. Then knowing how much fuel was needed, used a 5 litre calibrated (domestic plastic) jug to pour into the funnel.
For refulling on a trip with cans of fuel, I carried a smaller similar funnel arrangement and had to hold it, so didn't do too much of that as I fitted the extra tank which made it good for 3 hours plus a a generous reserve.

mike hallam.

victor simpson

Post by victor simpson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks guys for the ideas. Something's to think about. I guess the simplest is the best.

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Just had to put my glasses on! I thought the post said Stuka fuel, I thought who's building one of them and does Francis know?
Bob Farrell