RV 9 import from the States

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

widdzy

RV 9 import from the States

Post by widdzy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:12 am

Hi All,

Im an LAA member of 20 years+ and am in the fortunate position to be working overseas in Canada and the US and flying a great deal in y spare time over there.

I've Flown the RV7 for some time now out of Victoria and recently flew from west to east coast over the lakes on an epic 3000 mile journey across the rocks and plains of N. America. I'm hooked on the RV series and am looking at the opportunity of importing an american built RV to the UK in 2016. Is there anyone out there that has been through the importation process and can advise how easy or difficult it is. I want to make sure if i go down this route, i don't fall foul of any bureaucracy or hidden costs that might make it a painful experience.

Looking forward to any help or advice on offer.

Kevin
Kevin Widdowson

Harry Hopkins

Re: RV 9 import from the States

Post by Harry Hopkins » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:29 am

Kevin,

I contacted a friend of mine who imported an RV several years ago. He advises:

It can be done but takes time and is not without risks.

The shipping part is easy as there are several companies who can pack an RV into a container.

An LAA is required (he didn’t tell me its title but the Eng staff will know).

To be issued with a UK Permit a full aircraft physical and documentation survey is required. This will check the aircraft has been built precisely to drawings and the log books are in order.

There are three major gotchas that many people are caught by,

1. Poor workmanship - because of the US system there are aircraft that are just poorly built (there are also some immaculate examples). It will be up to your inspector to determine if the construction workmanship is acceptable.

2. Engine not built by an authorised person - the last time the engine crankcase was split the re-assembly must have been signed for by at least an A&P mechanic, better still a repair station. If the history of the engine cannot be adequately determined it is likely that the LAA will insist on a strip down and re-build (probable cost £5000).

3. Unapproved modifications have been embodied - if the aircraft has not been built precisely to drawings, and the modifications have not been already approved, then the owner will be faced with the task of getting all of the mods approved. It is difficult to find out what has already been approved.

Clearly the whole process will depend on the attitude of the inspector - you would be wise to find one before starting the whole process. It is likely to take at least 6 months from the date the container lands to the issue of a full permit.

We both recommend you join the Yahoo Group RV Sqn.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry Hopkins

Post by Harry Hopkins » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:30 am

Kevin,

My previous post should have said "An LAA Form is required"

Harry

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:16 pm

If all seems OK, fly it back via Greenland, Iceland and Wick in the far north !

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Seems a bit odd that an engine can fly around the states and even across the Atlantic and yet requires a strip if it is to be safe. This throwback to the D licence is typically British. from when radials ruled the roost.People like me strip and rebuild engines yet need the boss to sign them out as an approved authority with the required paperwork. The days of the single signatory engineer has or nearly has gone. Replaced by the approved organisation, ie those that paid the fee to be one of the CAA/EASA clique.
Graham Dawes

phil brookman

Post by phil brookman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:32 am

5k for a strip down think someones got their figs a drift here ....
but not a bad idea to have a look inside ...

Harry Hopkins

Post by Harry Hopkins » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Kevin,

I've since discovered there's an LAA technical leaflet on this subject at:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... rcraft.pdf

It's on this web site but I had to use the search function to find it.

Best wishes,

Harry

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Harry, if you need a Technical Leaflet again hover the cursor over the Aircraft & Technical tab on the Home page and Data library (forms, leaflets etc) is one of the options on the drop down menu. Click on that and top of the next drop down menu is Technical Leaflets which takes you to the full complement of TLs.

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 pm

I've been through this process (more than once).
The TL is a good place to start.

If you want to discuss in more detail, please send me a PM with contact details.
Mark Albery