Desert Island Discs - Winkle Brown

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Desert Island Discs - Winkle Brown

Post by ColinC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Just thought this might be of interest? Eric 'Winkle' Brown is on the radio on Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/de ... f#b04nvgq1

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

ColinC

Re: Desert Island Discs - Winkle Brown

Post by ColinC » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Well, I for one enjoyed that programme.

I did have the opportunity to attend a talk he did at an RAeS meeting and he is a most engaging speaker and so modest about his achievements.

Not sure why I made this comparison, but some other celebrity with a knighthood was on the media later and I was left wondering why someone like Eric Brown never got honoured in that way for his contribution and his bravery. I guess that's just a reflection of our values these days.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Colin, I was only thinking about the same thing reference the knighthood, probably didn't get it because he doesn't sing, dance, play sport or act. Maybe we should start a petition.
Bob Farrell

Joseph Cullen

Post by Joseph Cullen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:59 pm

It was a great programme and complimented the recent documentary very nicely. His polite but pointed comments during the recent referendum in Scotland were very much what would be expected.

More to the point from an aviation perspective was his emphasis on careful planning and preparation as the secret of being that contradiction: "An old, bold pilot".

Knighthoods in the military seem to go purely on rank with the OBE going with a two star and a K with a three star! Of course Dame Kelly Holmes was a sergeant but the honour came from her athletics.