FK-Lightplanes

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

pk311yla

FK-Lightplanes

Post by pk311yla » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:21 am

I guess lots of us have seen these aircraft at Friedrichshafen and they look great. They also have certification in Germany, Italy etc. and we are all good Europeans these days. Yet to the best of my knowledge, we still can't fly them in the UK. Anyone know the latest situation? Seasons greetings, Peter

Brian Hope

Re: FK-Lightplanes

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 am

What it needs is for somebody to decide to get them approved as kits here in the UK.I know Francis would be keen to see a UK importer. I can only assume that either nobody has sought to import them, or perhaps has not been able to negotiate a satisfactory business arrangement.
The other option is that the factory has them approved by EASA as European LSAs, then they could be bought here as ready to fly aircraft.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi Brian

I spent a fair time speaking to Dr Herr Peter Funk at Friedrichshafen 2 years ago, Peter wasn't interested in the UK and Ireland markets for several reasons, two of the significant ones were that:-

A. Aircraft weight could not meet the UK microlight requirements and he didn't want the work involved in preparing all of the necessary stress and loading reports to sell them as a group A

B He was happy dealing with other EU countries just accepting them on German approvals and didn't see the UK and Ireland as a significant market, the payback for the work involved taking too long.

Don't know if that clarifies anything, but repeated contact with him proved fruitless.

Cheers

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi. Peter

Which model are you interested in?

FK have been around a long time so if the model you are interested in is one which has been in production for a substantial period of time there may be an approval route open to you.

If the fleet of the model you are interested in has acquired 2500 flight hours it may be possible to approve the aircraft without stress analysis etc.

Ian