Flying in France

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeGodsell

Re: Flying in France

Post by MikeGodsell » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Hmnn on my first trip to France my destination was LFER Redon in Brittany (near Rennes). I used the 123.5 Unicom with my appalling French and managed in my excitement to land downwind! Much to the amusement of my French father in law who had been waiting to welcome me.
Shortly after landing the apparently empty airfield had lots of arrivals ... it seems they had all scattered knowing a Brit was about to arrive! Everyone was very friendly and welcoming, but my FIL gave me a copy of a DGAC order made on 17th July 1992 to read and digest: Joining the circuit at a non controlled airfield is to be effected at: The Start of the downwind leg at the circuit height of the airfield and ensuring visual separation from other aircraft using the circuit and giving them priority. This order assumes that before it is complied with, the pilot in command has determined the landing direction in use at the airfield by use of radio 123.5 MHz. As with the post above it's probably a good idea to practice listening out to French pilots using the Unicom frequency so as to get your ear accustomed to getting the information you need.

tnowak

Re: Flying in France

Post by tnowak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:55 pm

In June I hope to be flying south to Rion des Landes in my Vagabond for the annual Piper Club France Rassamblement.
I am familiar with good places to visit down to approx. the Saumur/Angers/Amboise area, but have only been to a few airfields further south.
Any recommendations for good places to night stop for one or two nights further south en-route? Ideally somewhere interesting to stay which the wife will find interesting.... Have stayed at Angouleme before.
We won't be camping!

Many years ago I flew into La Rochelle before the low cost carriers started using it as a destination. Are they still GA friendly and have tie downs etc.?

Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak