Reliant engine conversion.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeGodsell

Reliant engine conversion.

Post by MikeGodsell » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Having built a four wheel Reliant Bug replica. I was astonished to see its 850cc engine about to take flight! (In the Feb mag) My Bug has no doors, is very light, and handles like a demented go cart with the power available from its alloy engine. So congratulations on what looks like a really viable aircraft conversion. A word of warning however, as I suffered the Bug equivalent of an EFATO when the large cylinder head core plug (very prominent in the main picture) blew out suddenly at speed. There was no previous indication of imminent failure, like small leaks, or external corrosion, and the total loss of coolant took only a couple of secs! The only way to be sure this plug is not corroded is to renew it.
My Bug is currently off the road due ethanol petrol which has melted the fuel pipes, and makes warm starts difficult due vapour lock in the SU carburettor. After a long run in hot weather I can hear the fuel boiling in the carb float bowl as it is heated from residual heat in the engine bay. Current fix for this is to replace the SU carb with Weber (much bigger float chamber), and fit an electric fuel pump to prime the hot carb with cool fuel.

G.Dawes

Re: Reliant engine conversion.

Post by G.Dawes » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 pm

I really like that it is a lot better than the three wheeler, bet it doesn't want to roll over either.
Graham Dawes

ColinC

Re: Reliant engine conversion.

Post by ColinC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi,

here's a link to an article about a previous commercial attempt to use the Reliant engine: http://www.chilton-aircraft.co.uk/Images/reliant.pdf

Also, here's a video showing a gentleman in the USA flying a Heath Parasol replica using a Reliant: http://youtu.be/j3y1dMTYXx4

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese