mogas

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

phil brookman

mogas

Post by phil brookman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:19 am

hi all i am trying to find info on the latest situation re ethanhol in our fuels .
we know we dont need it or want it .
however i am trying to find which fuels are en228 compliant and are without ethanhol.
and also the latest info on the introduction of e 10 in the uk.
so far it seems that esso supreme is en 228 and without ethanhol in certain areas .
has anyone found any other fuels compliant .
ethanhol is causing havoc in thousands of vehicles and will get much worse by going upto 10 percent
phil

tnowak

Re: mogas

Post by tnowak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:17 am

Hi Phil,

I think you can only be 100% sure by testing your fuel for ethanol before use. I think the ethanol is added at the refinery just before the tankers go out on their delivery runs, so whether ethanol turns up in your local area depends on which refinery serves your area.
A few months ago BP Ultimate was ethanol free in Hampshire (near Alton).
Murco normal unleaded used to be ethanol free, but believe that may not be the case now.
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

phil brookman

Post by phil brookman » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:22 am

thanks tony info is coming harder to get good info that is ,,,esso supreme might be worth looking at having just had a reply back from them stating that it is ethanhol free
phil

phil brookman

Post by phil brookman » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:27 am

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care.

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol). Esso super unleaded petrol (Esso Energy Supreme) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland) and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Esso Energy Supreme in other areas of the UK.

We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Esso Energy Supreme – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

Yours sincerely,

Andrea Kassai-Gréz

End Consumer & Customer Care Assistant

Customer Service, Fuels & Lubricants, EAME

UK - Tel: 0207 136 1798

IRE - Tel: 0165 69 039

[email protected]

JohnLindsay

Post by JohnLindsay » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:34 am

Phil,

Many thanks for promulgating that information. It's really helpful to hear direct from Esso about their intentions regarding Super Unleaded. I used it all last year (blue bud tested just in case) and look forward to doing the same this year.

Regards, John.

T Wilcock

Post by T Wilcock » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:13 pm

A very useful reply from Esso. Here in the Bristol area, Murco super grade (can't remember what it's specifically called) was also ethanol-free at last testing, though I'm not sure that's the case for anywhere that doesn't get its fuel from Murco Westerleigh.
Trevor Wilcock

biggles22351

mogas

Post by biggles22351 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I had heard that TEXACO's super/supreme unleaded was ethanol free but I recently got this email from
the head office:

Thank you for your email dated 16th May 2015.

Please be advised that our Supreme Unleaded is also known as Super Unleaded.

Both our Premium and Super Unleaded grade of fuels now contain 5% Ethanol.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for contacting us with your enquiry and hope the information provided is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Joanna Stead
Customer Care Advisor

UK Marketing
Valero Energy Ltd
1 Westferry Circus
Canary Wharf

biggles22351

Post by biggles22351 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:54 pm

I also had reply from BP as I had read taht their top grade unleaded was ethanol free - but alas seems probably not!

Thank you for your email concerning the fuel sold by BP.

Bioethanol is present in nearly all regular unleaded petrol being sold by fuel suppliers in the UK today.

Bioethanol is also becoming increasingly present in the UK’s super-unleaded (premium/higher octane) petrol too; this is because, in compliance with the UK government’s Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation, fuel suppliers have been required to increase the quantity of bio fuels in their transport fuels since 2008.

As a consequence, the inclusion of bioethanol in our BP Ultimate Unleaded supply chain is an evolving situation and we are therefore unable to give you categorical assurances as to its absence or presence. However we can assure you that – as required by the The Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 – the content of bioethanol in our BP Ultimate Unleaded gasoline will never be more than 5% by volume until 1st January 2017 at the earliest.

All BP fuels, Regular and BP Ultimate, contain special ingredients which have cleaning and protection properties for the engine. BP Ultimate has been rigorously tested on a wide range of vehicles, covering hundreds of thousands of miles, in various conditions. Its advanced formula offers a wide range of benefits compared to ordinary fuels, including better fuel efficiency and enhanced performance, , all of which give long term benefit and value to the consumer and their vehicle.
BP does not supply 100% bioethanol as a retail fuel in the UK.

Thank you for taking the time to bring the matter to our attention and for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns at this time.
Kind regards,

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:04 am

The fiasco continues. Nobody has ever been able to give me a satisfactory explanation as to why, for example, a bog standard Eurostar microlight can use fuel with ethanol but fit an electric fuel pump, have the aircraft changed to SEP (as can be done so long as it's not a factory built Eurostar) and you can no longer use the very same fuel.

This really is getting beyond a joke. I appreciate the safety issues but if a Rotax 912 in a microlight flies perfectly well with ethanol in the fuel I can't see that SEP's are suddenly going to start plummeting onto schools/puppy farms. How many more years are we going to have to wait?

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 am

I needed to fill up my car at my local Shell garage (near Winchester, Hampshire), with regular unleaded petrol and, as I had a jerry can in the boot, I thought I would put a small amount of petrol in the can to do an alcohol test.
I was very surprised to find it tested completely free of alcohol. I use tester dye for alcohol testing and the dye is still a "blob" in the bottom of my tester jar after 36 hrs...
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 am

Hi John et al, in the August issue of magazine we will be publishing an article from Engineering about the approval of using mogas with 5% ethanol in Rotax, VW and some Jabiru-engined 'Group A' type aircraft. It will explain what needs to be checked/changed re fuel systems and engines. This will be the first of what is hoped will be an approvals path for any more LAA aircraft. Small Continentals will possibly follow on later in the year.
A Technical Leaflet will also be published in due course.

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Good news!
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 pm

tnowak wrote:I needed to fill up my car at my local Shell garage (near Winchester, Hampshire), with regular unleaded petrol and, as I had a jerry can in the boot, I thought I would put a small amount of petrol in the can to do an alcohol test.
I was very surprised to find it tested completely free of alcohol. I use tester dye for alcohol testing and the dye is still a "blob" in the bottom of my tester jar after 36 hrs...
Tony Nowak
Hi Tony,
Are you using food dye? I have found this to give a suspect reading. I had two samples of Mogas and one of avgas. One of the Mogas samples tested positive for ethanol when using an test kit, the other did not. When I used the food dye test the avgas passed as did both of the Mogas samples. If I shook up the samples, only the Mogas ones mixed, with similar but not identical appearance.

I am not sure I trust this test, as it may be dependent on which food dye, even colour.
Ian Melville

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Ian,

The test solution I use came from USA; can't remember the name just now but it has always worked.
I have heard of using food dye as a replacement and believe a particular brand is better than others. Dr O something?
Although a waste of gin (!) a tiny drop added to the fuel sample after the tester dye is added always disperses the tester blob, so I am fairly sure it works okay.

Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Steevo25

Post by Steevo25 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:30 am

I have been using the ethanol tester tubes but am really not sure how good they actually are. They are the ones where you put a bit of water in the bottom up to a mark and then add a certain amount of fuel. You shake it and then let it settle and if the water at the bottom has gone up on the scale you can read off the percentage of ethanol.

Doing a test with my local BP garage showed ethanol in excess of 5% but strangely doing the premium petrol from my local Tesco showed no ethanol even though their website says that it contains up to 5% ethanol.
Stephen Langley