Met Office new site

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

C Rule

Met Office new site

Post by C Rule » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Has anyone signed up for the new site for the Met Office General Aviation offering
I tried it today and thought it was a retrograde step on the old site.
i wonder if there had been any consultation with its potential users as to its content etc.
I certainly wasn't asked!
Colin Rule

John Clarke

Re: Met Office new site

Post by John Clarke » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:02 am

I have to agree. It's a bit of a mess at the moment. Let's hope they listen to feedback!

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Mmmm,

Registered, tried to get TAF's for North England - er, how ?

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Not an improvement.

I hope they listen to the criticism

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Not only is it 'Not an improvement. It is a retrograde step.

There is little wrong with the existing site. It may be a bit old fashioned but it gives you exactly what you need to know to go flying, the new site does not do this at all. Not at all fit for purpose!
Alan Radford

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 am

The new Met Office site is similar in format and style to the Meteo France Aviation website. That is, very heavy on graphical presentation and "pop-ups" for other information.
Some of the new features look good (visibility overlay for example), but I wonder how many of these are only available as the Premium paid for service?
I do find the printed lists of TAF /METAR reports on the original site to be very good for getting quick, overall, situational awareness of weather and haven't yet figured out if the graphical map would give me the same type of "overview" or not.
Is this also the new "mobile friendly" Met Office service offering that has been mentioned?
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 am

Well, I had a few minutes to spare and fancied a laugh. Unfortunately, the process needed a lot more than a few minutes and I never laughed once.
It's about as user friendly as having your wisdom teeth extracted. Come on Met. Office, all we want is a weather report ! :?
If you want to know what 'user friendly' is , then go to allmetsat.com :D

John Price

Post by John Price » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Tried to use it and found it very poor.

Gone back to using the old version.

John.

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 pm

The met office website said that their existing GA facility will cease in October to be replaced by their new fancy but unhelpful and difficult to use offering. For example the groups of TAF and METAR by regions are gone and each airfield has to be entered individually by name. And international wx seems more limited. Flash but crap really. I wrote to the CAA about who said:

Thanks for this. We have been in dicussion with the Met Office over several deficiencies with the new web site that I understand were not picked up during user testing.

Suffice to say that the Met Office plans to develop an update to the new site for a release in October. We will ensure that the Met Office continues to make the old website available for the time being (and certainly beyond October) until these issues have been resolved.

Should any of your members have comments to make on the web site, can I encourage them to feed these to the Met Office at
[email protected]

So if you have a mo you might want to look at the new website (access via the old one) tell them what you think is needed.

John

biggles120

Post by biggles120 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 pm

I am a bit late getting into this discussion... However, I have been in contact with the MET office regarding the new mobile and website and to fair to them they have been very positive about comments.

I was particularly sad to see the TAF METAR bulletin had disappeared, but having been in contact with them, they have had numerous mails about it and are looking to re-instate this and other functionality.

i guess the best approach is to use the site and mail them concerns... they are keen to get feedback. :)
Paul Espin

howell

Post by howell » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:33 am

I too have tried to access the new met office aviation weather website and when I eventually signed on found the site poor and non user friendly. The current site works fine and I can source all the relevant information readily, I am surprised the met office are so backward that they are only just in 2015 making a format that is the correct size and format for smart phones when most other companies have been user friendly on smart phone for many years.
I then tried to launch the new met office app on my Samsung S2 only to find a blank screen, I emailed the met office again only to be told their new app will only run on the latest android software kit kat 4.4 so now to work the met office app I have to purchase a new phone!! tried updating my old phone software too traumatic!
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/ga ... s/browsers
I had always understood to keep legal when flight planning met office aviation weather had to be used I am unsure if this is still correct.
The allmetsat weather website is brilliant.
http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/france.php
Another useful site is https://www.androidpit.com/app/nl.merca ... eroweather
Chris Howell.
Christopher Howell