Type Forums

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Joe Iszard

Type Forums

Post by Joe Iszard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

At present there are several group forum's under the Yahoo banner, this is something that must return a profit otherwise Yahoo wouldn't act as host.
Would it be possible for the LAA to act as host for any group that chose to use their site?
OK, I've got my hands up waiting to be shot down.
Joe

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:49 pm

I think that's a good idea, you may find that the forums are a bit too small to sustain, US forums have the advantage of huge numbers of builders.

It's worth giving it a go.

Jamie and me can be the KR2 Forum :)
Peter Diffey

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 am

Yeah why not :lol:

Geoff. Collins

type forums

Post by Geoff. Collins » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:32 pm

There was of course, once Type Forums on the old BB.After about the last but one "revamp",I couldn't find them. I e-mailed Penny direct, to see what I was doing wrong. She said due to so little use,by the people who aught to have been posting in them,it was decided to remove the Type Forums during the tidy up.
So, if you get the go ahead for a few "popular" types,you use it or lose it again I guess?

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm

If Yahoo isn't your bag, there is always Google Groups or Ning as I don't really see the LAA paying for everybody's storage space :roll:

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm

BMAA forums do allow for types. Thus several PFA/LAA Permit a/c which actually are outside the BMAA's remit do have a marque & submarque identity. E.g the Rans S6 has one and separately the Rans S4 & S5 types.

It's free to join their forum & even non BMAA folk can post replies. So have a look, if you're at the light end of the spectrum there's plenty on F/W
3 axis a/c to read.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Either there's no LAA members' demand for 'a/c type' sub fora or what we discuss in Hangar Chat quickly descends unnoticed to the bottom of the web page.
As a keen PFA/LAA of (er) too many Summers I try to publicise Rans S4 and S5 Permit 3 axis microlights. Those of you who trawl the sites will have noticed my scatterings of notes to call the faithful plus anyone else interested, to prayer. On this LAA site the only slot that seemed useable for this duty was the absent Friends title, but this too doesn't convey the correct meaning and is hardly ever visited.
Seems the Hangar chat has too many running sub entries whilst the one I selected to put stuff in is neglected.
Could in due course the kind LAA web site arranger perhaps swap the title to 'A/c Types'. Then the S4 stuff could go there, as it's funny that yonks ago the BBMA though not the Permit issuers quickly allowed a type heading in their BB. Maybe a little look would show what's possible and LAA can crib their better ideas ??
Looking forwards to more interest from other owners & afficionados of all types of a/c..

Mike.

Pete

Type forums

Post by Pete » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:50 pm

There is no reason that type forums or strut forums should clutter up the main page, each user would only see those forums to which he subscribes.

I have played with phpBB in the past, and as far as I can see the adding of users to each type or strutt forum would have to be done by the administrator - time consuming...
Peter Diffey

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Just a little plug for the forum I set-up for the Nipper guys :lol:

Mike Cross

Post by Mike Cross » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:24 am

The Luscombes have their own Forum.

The advantage is that anyone who joins the Forum can post, they don't have to be a LAA member so if someone is thinking of buying one and wants some advice they don't have to join LAA first. It also means we get valuable input from other operators, principally in the US and Canada which we wouldn't get on the LAA BBS.

I imagine the builders have similar issues. If you're building an RV there will be bigger and better (in the sense of having more people providing input) Forums than the LAA can provide with its somewhat narrow "members only" focus.

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:08 pm

We have a world-wide forum for Taylor Monoplanes at: :arrow:

http://forum.aceboard.net/index.php?login=131701&rub=

timr

Post by timr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 am

The Vans RV group has a forum at:

www.rvforum.co.uk

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 pm

I notice in the Feb 08 magazine that the Thatcher CX-4 is now approved for build by the LAA - they kept that quiet. Although it looks a bit like VP1 with all the sharp corners removed it looks the "bees knees" and apparently is cheap and simple to build with good performance. I would seriously have a go at building one if I could substitute a Jabiru 2200 in place of the old VW.
I tried to get into the Thatcher website some time ago but the PC warned of a virus.
Where do I get the plans.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:22 pm

The website http://www.thatchercx4.com/ works OK for me Bill. Perhaps your PC is being over-cautious! Plans are $360 apparently, and various sub-assemblies are available.

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:23 am

Saw the Thatcher a while ago on the net and thought it would be a good project, but ignored it because I thought it would be years (if ever) before it came over here. Never heard a squeak about the approval until the mag landed today :roll:

There is also a Yahoo Group - don't see why a Jab couldn't be used.

On a virus free Mac 8)