VFR Route to Cherbourg

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Brady

VFR Route to Cherbourg

Post by John Brady » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:43 pm

In their response to our consultation to change the classification of airway Q41, MOD referred to the VFR recommended route that goes through D036. They said:

"The MOD is also keen to highlight that Ply Mil currently provide a Danger Area Crossing Service (DACS) through EGD036. A call to Ply Mil would remove the possibility of Danger Area infringement as the pilot would be given the appropriate advice to avoid the area or gain approval to cross if there was no activity taking place. The MOD would urge GAA members to utilise this service, both now and post any airspace change, should there be any doubt that their chosen routing will remain outside of the Danger Area."

I don't use this route but would like to know the views from anyone who does.

John

SteveHutt

Re: VFR Route to Cherbourg

Post by SteveHutt » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:46 pm

John,

I use the KATHY-GARMI recommended route through D036 when flying to western France and Jersey but I don't think it makes sense to route that way when going to Alderney, where I have routed via KATHY-ORIST in the gap between Q41 and D036. But I am coming from Sussex. If flying from further north in the UK going to Alderney then routing Needles-ORTAC on the Q41 route would make sense, and where the Q41 ACP comes into play. Routing choice to/from Guernsey is swings and roundabouts between the above routing choices.

So far, I have never been refused a crossing on the recommended route even when D036 was active. I have been allowed to cross at 5000+ft when mil helicopters were using D036 at 3600ft.

Using the recommended route southbound is not so bad as I am talking to London Info well before reaching the D036 boundary. Northbound is a much more unpleasant experience as you get handed off to London Info from Deauville virtually at the boundary. Last time I did this London Info requested I stay outside D036 while they checked (maybe I should have contacted Plymouth Mil myself direct - I'm unclear on that) and I was forced to fly for 10NM due west towards America extending my time over the sea before they came back saying I was cleared to cross.

My main concern with the DACS is the uncertainty about being given permission to cross. Maybe I should be phoning Plymouth Mil before take-off to find out in advance but not sure how that works in the air when London Info say they want to check and I say "No, Plymouth Mil said it was OK". Flying northbound on the GARMI-KATHY recommended route and being refused permission to cross when approaching GARMI forcing an inflight change to route around D036 to the west would result in you spending more time flying over the sea than using the Q41 route.

Hope that is of use.

Steve
Steve Hutt

nigelthepilot

Post by nigelthepilot » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:58 pm

I have used the Kathy-Garmi, Swanage-Orist and Swanage-Bolro routes many times and find Plymouth Mil' extremely helpful when they are there but, being military, they certainly take quite a lot of holiday. London Info' try to be helpful but I find them 1) often very busy and 2) difficult to raise from 3000' with my Icom.
Plymouth Mil' answer from virtually any level and I have great faith in them
Nigel Stokes

James Chan

Post by James Chan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:40 am

I've used it a few times. When I had my refusals due to the danger area being active, I didn't want to fly any lower for a variety of reasons and tried to squeeze into the ORIST gap but failed and infringed Q41, in clear VMC.

I was talking to Southampton at the time who was helpful but unable to do anything, and then handed over to Jersey who was also helpful but couldn't do anything but clear me into their zone.

Due to the fuel savings and improved safety of higher altitudes over the channel, this is every reason why I strongly feel Q41 should be reclassified to permit VFR flight and why commercial interests should never 'grab' airspace away from VFR users and prohibit flight.