New member North West - PTF A/C?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Seanjd

New member North West - PTF A/C?

Post by Seanjd » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi
Just joined and thought I would pop in and say hello :)
I currently fly from Blackpool and gained my EASA-PPL in June.
I am currently exploring options to own and run an aircraft under PTF, and would appreciate any advice and guidance anyone has to offer.
I am looking for something, probably Rotax powered, 2 seats with the ability to haul about 250kgs (two 100kg people plus 2 hrs fuel). I have researched hangar options and insurance for a kitfox and a Rans S7, as I have viewed the Kitfox and flown in the Rans, and these are both for sale on afors presently.
Was fortunate to have a good chat with a Kitfox owner, so have a much better understanding of these now.
I have a good grasp on the fixed costs and can afford this OK, and my budget is around £20,000 tops.
I was an airframe technician for 20 years, now an office worker, so the thought of getting my hands dirty and maintaining my own aircraft is an exciting one for me :wink:
Am planning on going to the LAA Rally to have a good look around at all the different aircraft and talk to as many owners as I can.
Thanks for reading.
Sean
Sean Donno

Chris Martyr

Re: New member North West - PTF A/C?

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Sean,
Welcome to the LAA. It does seem a tad ironic that your post has been here 2 days now and had no response. Especially as we are constantly being reminded of the need for new blood within the organisation.
Don't be under the impression that Hangar-Chat is an unfriendly place though . It's just a little bit under-utilised. The real LAA action takes place at airfields, in hangars, in peoples home workshops, Strut Meets, fly-in's and not least, in the brilliant magazine that drops through the door each month.

Attending Sywell will definitely give you a feel for what type of aeroplane suits you, your family and your budget, and will probably get the juices flowing a lot better than being bombarded with a load of confusing forum postings. [ Yes, I know that so far it's only been this one :lol: ]
It's a pity that you're so far North, as the strip that I fly from is full of different PtF types, although from what I've seen on here from Bob Potts' fabulous Northern Flyers videos, there are plenty of like-minded souls oop North having just as much fun as us southerners .
Good luck with whatever you eventually choose. No I'm not going to give any pointers here as we are all different. You'll know when you see the right aeroplane coz you'll get that nice warm feeling inside.
[for most LAA'ers that'll be the catheter come loose]
But seriously, I've been a member since 1992 and this organisation has enabled me to build and fly a great little aeroplane , and had I stayed within the flying club Cessna/Warrior fraternity , would have probably knocked it on the head years ago. Good luck ! and again, Welcome . :)

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reply :)
I will contact my local strut also, as I hadn't thought of this!

Sean
Sean Donno

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 am

Sean,

Have you considered aircraft such as the Jodel and many other classic/vintage that come up for sale?

Regards

Tony
Tony Nowak

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi Tony
I am starting to look at these in a bit more detail now. There is a very nice looking Vagabond that has just come onto the market, and have seen a Jodel 1051 also, which looks very nice.
Part of the reason for joining and going to the Rally is to have a good look around many different types and chat to some owners.

Sean
Sean Donno

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:06 pm

A share in a Jodel D120A has come onto the market close to me, so arranging to see this as soon as possible as it looks very nice.
Have the W&B info for it which all looks good, so just hoping it is roomy enough for me.
Sean Donno

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:22 pm

If you have that sort of budget you might like to look at our group - the NW RV Flyers, based at Barton, we are currently operating an RV7 with 7 of us in the group, I already have two others interested but do not want to go over 7 on just the one aircraft, shares are £12k, if we get another four members (you could be no 3 in which case we would actively look at a fourth plus an aircraft) we could buy an RV4 as a second aircraft, monthly costs would be in the order of £50-60 with an hourly rate of £12/HR or so plus fuel, maybe a little more expensive than the Kitfox etc. but I suspect not that much, and MUCH more capable.

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks Ian, but going to be patient and wait presently as would prefer something based at Blackpool or one of the more local strips.

I was too big for the Jodel :( , but at least I know that variant won't be suitable.
Sean Donno

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:34 pm

After much research, deliberation and a good few miles driving, I have just bought an 1945 Aeronca Champion :D
During this journey, I have made some new friends who have been fantastic at offering advice and guidance. I have learnt a lot and am looking forward to the privelage of owning and operating this vintage aircraft. I hope I can do her justice and enjoy many pleasurable hours enjoying the scenery.

Sean
Sean Donno

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:34 am

[
I hope I can do her justice and enjoy many pleasurable hours enjoying the scenery

Sean, that's brilliant mate. You'd better do her justice , there are too many people that know about you and "her" now. :lol:
I have of course been following your progress on the 'Steely-Eyed Killers Forum' , but feel a bit more amongst friends here.
My big soft spot for the AC7-Champ is due to the Volksplane that I started building 19 years ago. The VP's Pilot Notes stated that one should get checked out on a Champ first, so I went and did my tailwheel conversion on one and subsequently went on to fly a few others . This was in the U.S. where they are a lot more prevalent than here.
The ironic thing was though, delightful as the VP is to fly [well, mine is] it has no similarities at all with the Champ, which has a different sort of charm altogether. :D
Pity you are so far away. If you do decide to do a 'World Tour of England' drop into Deanland , especially on fly-in day , you might just see some others you'll know.
Happy Flying. Chris.M

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks Chris :D
I will certainly give you a shout if I venture your way at some point.
Regards
Sean
Sean Donno

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Congratulations Sean, I presume you have a suitable tailwheel instructor lined up, if not then drop me a line, as the only LAA coach for the NW I can assist.

Ian

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Ian Hoolahan wrote:Congratulations Sean, I presume you have a suitable tailwheel instructor lined up, if not then drop me a line, as the only LAA coach for the NW I can assist.

Ian
Thanks Ian
Sean Donno

Seanjd

The Champ comes home

Post by Seanjd » Mon May 23, 2016 7:43 am

At last, I collected 'WA' and safely flew her from Popham to Blackpool yesterday, the day before my birthday :D

It was a day I will never forget, for so many reasons. During my journey to buy an aircraft and since joining the LAA, I have met many members and made some new friends along the way, and I would like to publicly thank all of them. 8)

I won't say any more for now :wink:
Sean Donno

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon May 23, 2016 8:35 am

Sean,

I learnt to fly on an Aeronca Champ many years ago (not your one) and I am sure you will have many happy hours flying your new purchase.

Tony Nowak
(you had to move my Vag to get your Champ out of the Popham hangar!)
Tony Nowak