Diving to their Doom ?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mikehallam

Diving to their Doom ?

Post by mikehallam » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Intriguing to see the new style LAA mag covers are seeking to atttract [?] newcomers to our ranks by picturing modern a/c in steep death defying dives. :roll:

Presumably demonstrating how clever we pilots are flying such unstable a/c, incapable of being flown S & L & being caught by the camera man only just before impact !

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Maybe they were cought by the camera during part of their Air Test partaking in the VNE speed section of the test??

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:02 pm

If it attracts newcomers, job done. We read it anyway.

Bob F

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 am

If you look at the back ground I dont think the Jab is in a dive it it just a way to get as big a picture as poss on the mag cover, looks good and I am sure it will be a great read when it arrives

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:20 am

I Like the new style photography on the inside where we are shown small pieces of aircraft at equally odd angles.Presumably this is part of an ongoing quiz where you have to name the plane (common in the old black and white Popular Flying Mags of yesteryear) but they have forgotten to publish the rules or details of the prizes.
Come on Brian ,if you can't afford the ink for complete pictures I'll put a few bob in the poor box for you! :roll:

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 pm

Mine turned up today,congratulations Brian, First Class !

merlin

Post by merlin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Mine has still not arrived today :cry:

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 pm

Got mine yesterday, Wife hid it till I'd finished cutting the grass!!
Great, I like the article on electric flight, "cordless aircraft"?

merlin

Post by merlin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 am

Phew my mag has dropped through the door.
Articles are fine as per - well done Brian, mag is bright but jury is still out on details - I find the photos disorientating and agree with Tony Francis.

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm

The photography style is similar to other magazines, particularly in the USA.

It enables the editor to get an imposing shot of the whole aeroplane onto the cover and I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

The other style which is used is the close in cockpit shot, either head on or at a slight angle which emphasises the drama of the scene - equally as good.

Bugger to fly though if you are being photographed - right in the slipstream 8)

I think it brings the magazine right up to the level of the the other mainstream alternatives and should be available for retail sale if it isn't already.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Better get a proper proof reader then, !

If Brian is relying on 'spellcheck' it cleaqrly intwoduces moore errers than a human reader.
Plus a few holwers on the three a/c comparism conflicting data text aagainst summary boxes and curious sppeds ! Maybe orlrite for us wot carnt reed proper, but ....

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi all, LOOP is doing just what we wanted them to do, bringing a refreshingly new style to the magazine. Personally I think it looks great, and the general consensus seems to agree that it is a big improvement.
Yes Mike we do have a few problems with proofing, as a new publisher means different working practices. We are working hard to resolve these minor difficulties and I have no doubt we'll get there very soon.