Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

alexcraiggtv

Post by alexcraiggtv » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi all.
Just wanted to say hello as I'm a new member of the LAA.
I've always had a keen interest in flying and currently going through my PPL.
Im from the 'building kit cars' bunch of people normally but as I have caught this flying bug I wondered how much harder it would be to design and build my own aircraft.
Is there many people in here that have done the same thing? I have experience in knocking up my own chassis/frames etc and have made my own fibreglass/aluminium panels.
Or am I getting a bit too ahead of myself with it all?
I would love any feedback or thoughts from you guys on this. I'm also going to the LAA rally in a couple of weeks too so if there is anyone going who I could speak to and pick their brains regarding designing/building just let me know.
Cheers all.

Alexander.
Alexander Craig

Nick Allen

Re: New member

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Welcome!

The short answer is that designing and building your own aircraft can be done, and indeed has been done. But it's a highly non-trivial exercise, so not something that many people do.

That said, the new rules to de-regulate single-seat microlights may change things in this respect...

Enjoy the Rally -- there is usually lots of inspiration there.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi Alexander,
Welcome to the LAA. As a kit-car builder and budding pilot ,you'll probably find that you're in good company here. Having done three kit-cars myself in my youth [about 30yrs ago] you'll find that the principle difference is the regulation side. I did rather like Nick's description of "non-trivial" as being quite apt for anyone designing and building their own aeroplane and can re-assure you that the best way out is to go for an approved kit or plans built aeroplane. Whichever one you choose, it'll take a bit longer than you probably thought and buying a second hand a/c may actually be the most fuss-free way of getting airborne before you go grey, bald and still have your own teeth. :lol:

Try and get yourself involved with folk away from the flying club type of scenario and more involved with the 'grass-roots' side of flying. As a 'can-do' type of bloke, I'm sure the bricks will all fall into place after a while. :D It's all there mate. You've just got to find it .

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:52 am

Hi Alexander,
I've been an aero nut since knee high to a grasshopper, but also restored a few vintage and classic cars, so know where you are coming from.

Though building an aircraft does require some commitment, it is within the reach of just about anyone who wishes to do so. Designing your own aircraft is one of those things where the better you understand the skills needed, the less you seem to know. Don't let that stop you if that is what you really want to do.

I was fortunate to be able to do the full set of Coventry Uni aircraft design courses, which were supported by the LAA.

If you still wish to consider designing your own then this event is a must.
http://aerosociety.com/Events/Event-Lis ... aft-Design
It's been running a few years now, and everyone who is anything in UK light aircraft design will be there.
Ian Melville

alexcraiggtv

Post by alexcraiggtv » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 am

Wow. Thanks Ian. I will look into that right away. I wanted to design something modern, reasonably fast but not overly complicated. :shock: well who am I kidding its obviously going to be complicated. I usually work with Ali, fibreglass and have dabbled in Carbon fibre, but I just don't want to get carried away with designing something that won't pass legislation.
Alexander Craig

achean

Post by achean » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:55 am

Welcome, Alex.

Good to see the new membership joining in on this rather quiet forum.

I'd agree with Ian and Nick, designing your own aircraft is a huge undertaking, but if you want to do it then go for it. The Tools and Methods one day conference Ian linked to is a must. Hope to see you there.

Jon
Jonathan Mercer

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 am

Hi Alex and welcome to the LAA. I will be around and about all three days at the Rally so by all means ask for me at the LAA stand in Marquee A for a chat if you have any queries about building. A friend who is currently working on his own design is also likely to be at the show so if I can link you both that will help you understand the design process. In the Homedbuilders Centre (Marquee D) you will find 'Blue Two', a carbon/composite own design by LAA member Andy Best, who will no doubt be on hand to chat about how he has gone about it. Barry Conway's own design carbon SSDR jet will also be there. As an SSDR it does not have to go through LAA approval but it still has to be properly designed so no doubt Barry can offer some pearls of wisdom too.
Our guys from LAA Engineering will also be at the show throughout the weekend and can offer advice.
Within LAA's ranks are some very able and helpful people, as suggested earlier, you just need to seek them out, and the best way to do that is attend the Rally and talk to as many members as you can.
Good luck and I hope to see you at Sywell. Brian.

alexcraiggtv

Post by alexcraiggtv » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:32 am

Thank you chaps for the great info and the people to meet at the rally. I'm sure all info will be a huge help. I can't wait! 8)
Alexander Craig