Aluminium Wood Screws

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

coxargus

Aluminium Wood Screws

Post by coxargus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:23 am

Folks,
Does anyone have/know of a UK source for countersunk aluminium or cadmium plated wood screws? - specifically #6 x 3/8" and #4 x 1/2".
I need to attach aluminium panels to wooden frames on my Fairchild Argus and am doing my best to avoid galvanic corrosion.
All info gratefully received - many thanks

Frank Cox
Frank Cox

Chris Martyr

Re: Aluminium Wood Screws

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi Frank.
I'm not too sure where you would find ali. wood screws. But I have used these guys many times before ,
www.namrick.co.uk , both on my aeroplane and for my 4 wheeled projects.
They have a pretty good selection of stainless and other plated screws. I reckon that whatever your screws are made from, it's still worth giving them a good dobbing in zinc chromate paste [JC-5] and then a quick puff of zinc chromate etch primer. [ hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs here mate]

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:51 pm

FWIW.

My house door handle escutcheons are all fixed with real Ali screws, so perhaps available in a similar merchant's inventory.
Nice and light perfect for the job, ideal for low stress & not air-frame duties.

mike hallam.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Actually Mike, you raise a very good point there ! Removing the 'A' word from the equation often results in the decimal point moving one place to the left, price wise.
Maybe I should have thought of B&Q's aviation dept. first . :lol:

Should've learnt my lesson years back when using Mil-Spec. fuel hose in my aeroplane , when Good-Year SAE spec. fuel hose from Halfords was a third of the price and from the Ethanol point of view, infinitely more compatible.

coxargus

Post by coxargus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:49 am

Thank you Chris and Mike

Seems I shall have have to go overseas again - not an unusual occurrence - I source many parts mainly from the States.
For those that are interested - these are the guys for all sorts of 'Aluminum' fasteners - http://www.aluminumfastener.com/

Frank
Frank Cox

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 am

Very useful link.

I notice there is a $35 minimum and have requested a quote for what would be a small order.I need about 200 #4 flat head screws; the cost may exceed the min. order value anyway. Is there any mileage in combining orders to economise?

Ian

coxargus

Post by coxargus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Ian -
Please excuse slow response - I have been considering the options.
The US aluminium screws have an 80 -82* angle but all my dimples are 90* so not an ideal match.
As cad plating is reserved for military and serious aerospace use only I was looking at the next best which seems to be zinc/nickel for steel. This is also difficult to get done for small batches but I came across this http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Zinc-Nickel-Plating-Kit.php. - not cheap but might do the job - perhaps someone out there has used this and can report on the results.

Frank
Frank Cox

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Frank,

Did you not find firms selling wooden doors and fitting have lovely light wood screws for a few pennies.

It is only for fixing your trim I believe, and certainly on my Jodel the wood they screwed into had gained oversize holes after all the times the trim (like a "whore's drawers") came on & off even if only annually !

mike hallam.

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Frank,

No problem and thanks for the information.

I have to install 0.016" aluminium sheet leading edges on my project. They are normally located and tacked in place with a couple of 1/2" aircraft nails into small nail blocks glued to the spars, followed by locking wire over small clips to anchor the edges to the ribs. The fabric should hold them firmly in place after that.

The very small difference in the countersink angle shouldn't cause a problem in this application and the aluminium screws just seem a neater option, especially if and when some poor blighter has to remove the sheet leading edges for whatever reason in the future. (Hopefully, that won't be me.) I'm sure the nails will work fine, if the screws are not available ( at a price I can justify, anyway.).

I'm awaiting the arrival of the quote.

Ian