Anybody landed on Jura?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Robe

Anybody landed on Jura?

Post by Brian Robe » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Has anybody flown to Jura recently?
I am considering a trip from Hexham in my Champ.
Apparently there are some good gardens on the Island that "she" wants to visit.
I have pictures of the strip but no details of length and surface condition.
Let me know if you have any information please.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I have been to Jura by road several times, but was not aware of the strip when I visited. By all accounts it is a challenge.

There was a thread on the flyer forum a while back, some of the piccys have now gone, but all other comments are still applicable.

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... ra&start=0

bertdeleporte

Post by bertdeleporte » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Hello,

I landed once in Oyonnax: asphalt runway, fuel, restaurant near AD, free stop.

I can provide some french site with extensive information (charts, pics, comments...):

http://www.nav2000.com

It is unfortunately in French, but you can get good information on the surrouding airfields by putting the IACO locator (Oyonnax: LFLK ) and zooming. You will get a good idea of which airfield is the most suitable for you. Beware, the ULM stripes are also displayed.

You can get the official airfield charts at:
http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/ ... aip_fr.htm

You will see some airfields are given in "French only", but foreigners are very welcome!!!! Unfortunately, most of the time, except in Paris area, where I do not recommand to go, even with a solid French, you will get alone in the air.

You can find easy translation of position reporting at :

http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/ ... 8%2007.pdf

Most of us (French pilots) make position reports as follow:

-1 min before vertical at 1500 ft AGL ("G-XXXX, à une minute de la verticale 1500 pieds")
-runway in sight ("G-XXXX, terrain en vue")
We usually fly overhead and take the runway bearing for descending to downwind leg ("G-XXXX, éloignement pour vent arrière YY")
-at beginning of downwind ("G-XXXX, début de vent arrière YY")
then follow the wording of the pdf leaflet.
If you are not at ease with figures from 01 to 36, just say the digits:

"28" can be said "deux huit"

Have a nice trip and do not overweight the aircraft with bottles and cheese...

Best regards
Bertrand

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi Bertrand,
I think you have got the wrong Jura. Northumbrian is referring to the Isle of Jura off the west coast of Scotland.

I assume Oyonnax is in the Jura mountains? Gardens are probably better there as well as the weather :D

Ian

bertdeleporte

Post by bertdeleporte » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Hello Ian,

sorry, I never heard before of Jura Island... :shock: :shock: :shock:

As we say in France, I'll go to bed a little less stupid tonight :wink: :wink: :wink:

BR
Bertrand

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:00 pm

:D
No problem, I didn't know what/where Oyonnax was, so I will also go to bed a little less stupid tonight. :lol:

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Four things to know about Jura:
(i) The standing whirlpool at the northern tip, the Corryvreckan, is second only to the great Maelstrom;
(ii) George Orwell lived on Jura;
(iii) Jura single malt whisky is nearly as good as Islay single malt;
(iv) Although there is only one road, someone published a driver's guide to Jura!
Er, that's it!

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 am

There is a small video of the airstrip on you tube. The airstrip is at Knockrome, just north of Craighouse.
Sailed the whirlpool a year ago.........interesting :shock:

gasax

Post by gasax » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:22 pm

And there are more deer on Jura than any other Scottish island. Population around 170 people, visitors 20,000 plus per year, 5,500 deer!

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:13 pm

arrivisto wrote:Four things to know about Jura:
(i) The standing whirlpool at the northern tip, the Corryvreckan, is second only to the great Maelstrom;
(ii) George Orwell lived on Jura;
(iii) Jura single malt whisky is nearly as good as Islay single malt;
(iv) Although there is only one road, someone published a driver's guide to Jura!
Er, that's it!
Agree with all the above, but there is a bit more to it than that, not much though :)
BTW the road is the only A road that I know that is single lane and has grass growing in the middle (north of Tarbet). Both my visits were prior to 1984 (Orwell) and tourists were thin on the ground then. And I have seen the whirlpool in full spate from the safety of solid land

Brian Robe

Post by Brian Robe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:51 pm

Ok chaps, this is great I like the whirlpool and the malt whisky and I have seen the video but is there anybody who knows the length and surface condition of the runway, wether the grass is cut and if there are any tie downs. Also I am definately not flying over to the Jura mountains in France although she wants me to now that you have given such great details.
I also try to wake up less stupid every day but frequently fail.

Oh I nearly forgot. Is there any mogas on Jura?

gasax

Post by gasax » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:02 pm

It is a while since I walkd the strip. your best bet is either to contact the Vestey estate direct or try the Jura Hotel and hopefully they can direct you onwards.

From recollection it is about 400 odd metres and was not particularly smooth - but that will vary due to the general 'wetness' of the area and usage.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Strip details as above,

When I was there there was Mogas at the Craighouse pier. You picked up the shop assistant (no need to ask which shop as there is only one) and drove to the pier, fuelled up and drove back to pay. Fuel was also very expensive compared to the mainland, and I suspect it has a low turnover. I would check it very carefully before using in an aircraft. There is also the issue of how to get it from the shop/pier to the strip. Less so if you can fly in a jerry can.
BTW the locals are very good at giving lifts to all and sundry

Ian

Edit: Jura has now gone up market and has a bus!!!