Members' Survey

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

Members' Survey

Post by ChampChump » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:18 am

Received this morning. I tripped up early on: farm strip, private strip or local aerodrome? Hmmm - although I fly from an airfield with ICAO designator, it is regarded more of a privately owned farm strip than a White Waltham.

What's the difference between farm strip and private strip, assuming an aviation context? :?
Nic Orchard

Nick Allen

Re: Members' Survey

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 pm

I was slightly flummoxed by that one too... Hinton doesn't have an ICAO designator, but has a lot of aviation-related activity, several runways, a maintenance company, fuel pumps...so strip didn't seem quite right. I plumped for local aerodrome...

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Yes, I nearly ticked 'Farm Strip' , but then saw the 'Private Strip' option which fits where I fly from perfectly [Deanland].
But even then, they have contractors in every Summer to harvest the hay bales.
I guess the principle difference is , who you pay rental to. I.E. is it Farmer Giles or private strip owners .
What about the question of other things you would like to see in LA mag ? I said a 'Readers Wives' column. Lucky it's an anonymous survey .

josher

Post by josher » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 pm

so what happened to the 'other' and open box responses in this survey? It seems LAA only want answers within their frames of reference which will greatly constrain the spread of response they receive - positive or negative! I got about half way and gave up because the responses offered did not fit what I wanted to express
Malcolm Rogan

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:46 am

Why doesn' t that surprise me?

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:34 pm

I think perhaps a section for people to address their concerns and to suggest further improvements to the "club" that they own would not be such a bad idea. We often feel that the LAA is now a business and is becoming removed from it's members. The NC meetings being cancelled is a case in point. The LAA strut members that I used to represent at council meetings now feel they no longer have either a voice or indeed access to question the hierarchy. No amount of elected members to oversee the committee can replace ordinary members ability to ask questions on a regular basis.
The very idea that there should be some sort of elected group to have access to an elected group, which was mooted at the last meeting has been derided at my strut. When they stopped laughing of course.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:25 am

Every year, the company I work for sends out a survey to their employees to find out "how things are".
Even though most questions have only "canned" answers that you can select there is always a "free format" comments section.

The "canned" answers make the survey response analysis easy but the "free format" answers make interesting reading!

Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Harry Hopkins

Post by Harry Hopkins » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Gentlemen,

I'm sure the CEO will read your comments when he returns from leave next week but clearlyit's too late for your desire for narrative comments for this survey. However, you still have 4 other ways of getting your message heard:
1. By putting them on this forum;
2. By emailing, or writing to the CEO;
3. By writing a letter to the editor of LA;
Emailing or writing to a Board member. I'm willing to act as a conduit for your comments, provided they're not libelous, and can be contacted at [email protected].

Sadly, I wasn't able to get to the final NC meeting but I'm told that at that meeting the Council members voted to dissolve it (to my disappointment). However, the Board then tasked the CEO to look at way of engaging with the wider membership. It's fair to say this is far from the only task on his to do list and he has had the odd `fire' to put out along the way.

If any of you have suggestions of how this might be done I urge you to let him know.

I can assure you that the current Board considers the LAA to be a members' organisation, albeit one to be run in a business-like manner on behalf of its members. Remember it's open to any of you to offer himself for election to the Board.

Best wishes,

Harry