How to become an LAA Inspector?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Seanjd

How to become an LAA Inspector?

Post by Seanjd » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:42 pm

I have been thinking about this, and contacted LAA engineering to find out more, expecting to have a discussion about what is required, where to find the relevant information and then expected a discussion about my skills and experience :|
But this did not occur. Instead it was a very short chat and I presume because my name was not recognised, then my enquiry was not taken seriously.
So, forgive my frankness, but is it an 'old boys network' type club, or is there a formal process for becoming an inspector?
My background is 22 years RAF Airframe Technician, Inspector/supervisor having worked on Tornado, Harrier, VC10, Hercules and 3 years supporting the Air Cadets at Central Gliding School (Syerston) Vikings & Vigilants (Grob109's), including everything from major modifications, minor & major servicings, functional tests, repairs etc. Not your average LAA aircraft type, but a lot of knowledge and experience easily transferrable. I now work for a major defence company having worked in Health & Safety, Human Factors and recently started as a regulatory auditor having just completed an LRQA Lead Auditors course in ISO9001:2015.

I am EASA PPL(SEP) current with tailwheel sign off.

Regards

Sean

Edited - A friend who is a BGA Inspector has shown me through their information and approval process, which appears to be quite comprehensive https://members.gliding.co.uk/airworthi ... nspectors/
Sean Donno

Chris Martyr

Re: How to become an LAA Inspector?

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:02 am

Sean,,,,,,,All of the above, :roll:

Oh ,,and you have a PM mate. :D

P5151

Post by P5151 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Sean,

If you follow the procedures there should be no problem with your qualifications I would have thought.You need to fill out the application and provide two referees. Usually followed by a visit to HQ for the next stage. This can take some time I applied months ago and am still waiting.

Ken Craigie has to fit this in with all the other work he is doing and given the amount of Inspectors we already have I doubt gaining another one is a pressing issue for him.

Now, if you want to visit the old boys network apply to become a coach!!! :( Apparently with over 50 types in my log book, tailwheel, constant speed, diesel, retractable and having helped numerous people to convert to type I don't have enough experience in different aircraft?
Steve Arnold

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:00 pm

given the amount of Inspectors we already have I doubt gaining another one is a pressing issue for him.
Possibly -- but given the demographic of the LAA there is likely to be churn (a polite way of saying they die off!), plus inspectors are not evenly spread around the country (especially taking into account the need for differing skills -- wood, metal, composite), plus the fleet is growing steadily: so I can't believe there isn't a need for more.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 pm

"Now, if you want to visit the old boys network apply to become a coach!!! :( Apparently with over 50 types in my log book, tailwheel, constant speed, diesel, retractable and having helped numerous people to convert to type I don't have enough experience in different aircraft "?[/quote]

Ah well Steve,,,,,,,,,They don't want experienced chaps coming along and unsettling someone's little empire do they . :wink:

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Chris, thanks for the message and I have replied.

P5151 - Can you point me to the 'procedure' please? As the LAA are a delegated authority from the CAA, they must have a documented process for Inspector approvals?

Could they have too many inspectors? I would have thought they would actively encourage people with the potential competencies to become an inspector?

Sean
Sean Donno

P5151

Post by P5151 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Sean

All you need to do is ask LAA Engineering to send you out an application form, fill it out and post it back.

Checks will then be made with your referees and if all is well you should be invited to Turweston where they will check out your skills. Again is all is well you should get through the system. Usually the process takes about 2 months. The Inspection side of Engineering is pretty good and turn round things quite quickly, but this is the time of the year when a lot of people are renewing permits and I suspect they are quite busy.

They are a good bunch at LAA Engineering, and the association is like a big community generally everyone helps everyone else.
Steve Arnold

P5151

Post by P5151 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Chris

Ah well Steve,,,,,,,,,They don't want experienced chaps coming along and unsettling someone's little empire do they . :wink:

Well I would not mind if I were not asked by friends to help them because the local coach is not available or because they just prefer to do it with me, but this is what happens.

I have been a scuba diving open water instructor for over 20 years and a driving instructor, so I do find it galling that LAA coaching is so restrictive. Having been a BSAC Open Water Instructor and a driving instructor for many years I find the LAA scheme very restrictive. Down at 25 meters when someone panics you are in a real life and death situation you have to know how to deal with adrenaline!
Steve Arnold

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:02 am

To give a more balanced answer to some of Sean's original points :
Yes, I guess in the early days it definitely was something of an 'Old Boys Network' . Not from the snobbery aspect though, but in those post WW2 days ,they were the chaps who had seen high training standards in places like the RAF or de-Havillands or the mass of engineering establishments that existed then. So looking from the perspective of your Frank Hounslows or Roy Watling-Greenwoods, it was probably more a case of them checking the PFA was up to THEIR standards !

These days however, it's probably not quite so easy for Chief Insp. Craigie to evaluate potential applicants, so I suppose he is forced into treating applicants as individual cases.
The modern day equivalent of an engineers licence, the dreaded EASA JAR-66 , has so many different levels of authority, anyone ticking the right multi-choice boxes can blag one. So Ken can't really use that one as a yardstick.
The old BCAR Section-L licence syllabus would definitely have sorted the wheat from the chaff, but even then, people with experience of gas-turbine powered metal monsters might not have necessarily been the right people to inspect wood/fabric creations powered by converted car engines. So Ken can't really use that one as a yardstick either, although it's a damn site better yardstick than the EASA licence.
As for the degree holding graduate engineers,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: errr,,, yes, moving swiftly on .
Sean's experience hardly comes into question, so surely, the most relevant part of his application is where he lives, as the Inspector contingent up there does seem a bit thin on the ground. Whereas where I live , in S.E. England we are a bit spoilt for choice, so Ken would probably be doing the LAA and any prospective builders in the N.W. a favour by giving his application some sort of consideration.
Anyway, here's to the future. 8)

P5151

Post by P5151 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Chris

Yes you are right. I have a friend who has various licences and the power of the pen in the repairing of the BA fleet, who gave up on trying to build an RV6 because he did not feel he could meet the standard required by an LAA inspector! I still have the empenage sitting in my hanger in bits, I may get round to finishing it if I live long enough :)

We have just lost one of our most experienced inspectors as Carl Butler has given up his ticket through poor health. He has taught me a lot, but his depth of knowledge is immense and I could never come near him in most areas.
Steve Arnold

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Tue May 03, 2016 11:43 pm

The LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme is run by a small number of volunteers for the benefit of our members. The requirements to join the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme as a LAA Coach are available to view in Coaching Scheme Leaflet 3.1 (CSL 3.1) which can be found on the LAA website under Pilot Coaching > Files and Forms. Application forms are available upon request. If you would like to become a LAA coach but do not meet the minimum requirements, please do get in touch to discuss your aspirations.

The courses we offer and the wide range of aircraft on the LAA fleet mean that we can only appoint experienced pilots who have owned and operated LAA types, and are therefore able to safely and confidently deliver coaching to our members. Previous instructing experience is desirable but not essential.

Whilst the requirements stipulated in CSL 3.1 are not minimums, they are a guideline as to the experience expected of applicants. I make no apology for setting high standards and requirements for our coaches who, upon appointment, are expected to conduct flight training in an often challenging instructing environment.

Like inspectors, there is a steady demand for new coaches as a few retire each year from their voluntary LAA commitment following many years of helping LAA members. I have had the pleasure of recently appointing four new LAA coaches who have joined the Pilot Coaching Scheme team with a variety of aviation backgrounds: welcome to Derren Francis, Terry Miller, Neil Oakman, and Trevor Bailey.

If you would like more information about the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme, there's a number of pages and leaflets available to view on the LAA website.

Kind regards,

Jon
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

P5151

Post by P5151 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Jon

I am going to open another Thread on the coaching scheme so it can be properly debated.

I am well aware of the rules.
Steve Arnold