Getting to a wider audience

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

G.Dawes

Getting to a wider audience

Post by G.Dawes » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 pm

I sometimes watch Top Gear, and they occasionally have aviation angles to their programs. However I have never seen any reference to our type of flying. Might it be an idea to get in contact and offer an insight to their audience. After all the LAA has a lot of very exciting aeroplanes that make their cars look boring. I believe that James May is a member, and if he had a Vans or the like, he would not have been beaten back home by a Veyron, maybe we could mention something to the production team.

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 pm

The only time I recall they have had GA it was to make fun of how long the preflight took and the fact that Mr May couldn't fly at night...

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:49 pm

It's a good idea but with Top Gear being about entertainment rather than reality they would probably not be willing to broadcast the resulting demolition of their £1/2mil "supercar" with a £40k aircraft.

cirrusvfr

Post by cirrusvfr » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 pm

James May was recently on the radio ( 5 live IIRC ) and he spoke at quite a length of time about his aviation interests along with Top Gear.
He has a Decathlon now and formally had a Luscombe based at WW

Peter Anthony

Post by Peter Anthony » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:02 pm

We could always try Cheerleaders and pyrotechnics well if it's good enough for the Showjumping set............. :roll:

A thought occurred to me that when I attended SPLASH last year, there were a few displays in the main concourse. If we had one of the Build a planes there it might pull a few more punters into the show.
But I guess the cost and logistics of keeping the stand manned at all times would be prohibitive that is if Elf and safety allowed it at all.

Actually another tangent how much would a stand at the motor show cost :wink:

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:14 pm

In the top gear hangar at Dunsfold there are several LAA planes,one of which is Mike Clarks One Design. Surely someone there must have been a little curious about them.