Aviator hotel Sywell / Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

G-TERN

Aviator hotel Sywell / Rally

Post by G-TERN » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 am

Having flown to the rally a fair few times over the years we always fancied staying over at the the Aviator - not with much hope - it's always well booked in advance of course - and the LAA staff (rightly so) take quite a few rooms. This year however, success - in January we got a cancellation which we booked at the agreed rate, paid the 50% deposit and have the booking confirmation, room rate and receipt for the deposit in writing.

This week however I received an e-mail from the hotel stating that following a "price review" there is a revised room rate for the LAA rally 2016 and the new price is xxxxx which we would have to pay. My calculator shows this to be an increase to us of 33%.

I know this is nothing to do with the LAA, a hotel booking is purely private between me and the hotel. But it is a bit topical as it is the hotel at our rally.

The principle of this has really p@ssed me off. It's not the amount of money - I could afford to pay it if I wanted to, and I do realise I am in the fortunate position of having a booking where many others would like to but do not. However to me a booking, especially supported by a deposit is in effect a contract and I find their attempt to jump on the gravy train unethical. The hotel is an "ok" place, quite alright for an airfield, but it's not a London West End type place. I was just wondering if anyone here might have any views on the principle of their actions, either legally or ethically or if I'm being naive to think that they can't do this? (I am fully aware that many people will either love or hate the place from past experiences...!).

I have written to them and am waiting for a reply. I am certainly not going to pay any extra on principle and if they hold me to this then I will be cancelling the booking. I have my three days booked off work so if this happens then I'll not go to the rally - I will use my days to go to France or somewhere nice.
Cheers, Jon
Ps. My camping days are long over...!
Jonathan Smith

Ian Melville

Re: Aviator hotel Sywell / Rally

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 pm

I am of the same opinion as you, You have made a contact with them. Will be an interesting reply.
Ian Melville

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:18 am

No doubt it will be in the booking small print (in their favour), but one would have assumed that you have already entered into an agreed contract for the room at the rate quoted at the time?
An enquiry to Trading Standards?

Tony N
Tony Nowak

G-TERN

Post by G-TERN » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks Ian and Tony. 24 hours later, still waiting for a reply to my e-mail.......... :roll:
Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 pm

That's an under-the-belt move by The Aviator, and I'd resist it, vehemently. :evil:

G-TERN

Post by G-TERN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for that Jono, I feel the same! Eventually had a short reply from my initial polite approach, stating it's in the small print (of course) and they've "met their conditions". On Monday morning I sent a further, somewhat more "robust" response to their unethical stance expressing my extreme displeasure. Five days later I'm still waiting for a reply.....
It's not the actual amount of money that's the real issue (although for me personally it would change it from an acceptably priced stay to a very expensive one) - it's the principle that stinks.... :evil:

Trouble is, they've suddenly realised they can get a lot more for the rooms than they previously thought and have got greedy. It's turning it into a rich man's game which I'm not!

I'd be curious to know if the LAA themselves have been stung for considerable extra cash as they have many of the rooms automatically booked out for themselves.
Jonathan Smith

Graham Clark

Post by Graham Clark » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I am not a lawyer, but I think this is worth a letter to the Leicester Trading Standards Office. Cheaper than talking them to the Small Claims Court, and probably more effective.

However, if you get no satisfaction, I plan to be at Sywell with an elderly camparvan that could sleep me + 2. It's not luxury, but it does the job.

No charge. My revenge on an unethical business. No 'no show' charge either.

Regards,
Graham Clark
[email protected]

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:42 pm

I'd be curious to know if the LAA themselves have been stung for considerable extra cash as they have many of the rooms automatically booked out for themselves.
Yes Jonathan we have been hit by the same increase without discussion or earlier notice than anybody else.
I have to agree it isn't exactly a customer friendly way to operate but fortunately it doesn't impact too greatly on LAA coffers because only a relatively small number of rooms are paid for by the Association.
Rgds, Brian.

G-TERN

Post by G-TERN » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:11 am

Many thanks for the replies - Brian for the LAA position and Graham C for your kind offer (Graham, I've sent you a PM).

Update - following my response to the hotel, eleven days later I received a single-line e-mail requesting my card details so that my deposit could be refunded....! End of....! No further explanation, communication or anything - and never once, even in the initial original email from them was any hint of an apology or the word "sorry" ever mentioned! So that was fine, I provided my card details immediately. Their customer care and dodgy practices are such that I fear for their survival under the current management.

I just wanted to say, having re-read my original posting on here it might have sounded like I intended to "boycott" the rally as a principle because of this. That is certainly not the case, in no way would I ever associate the LAA and the rally with a private matter between me and a hotel and I'm sorry if anyone, especially rally organisers and helpers might just have felt that. (No one's said anything to me - I was just worried I might have come across as such). The LAA is an organisation close to my heart as it enables me to do the sort of flying I love to do, the rally is a great event I always enjoy and Sywell is a great venue to hold it. (I just won't be setting foot in their rotten hotel...!). If the weather's anything like then I will be visiting, on a day trip as usual, en route somewhere else!
Jonathan Smith