Builders forum

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JonEdmunds

Builders forum

Post by JonEdmunds » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:07 pm

I was just curious as to why there isn't a builders forum on here?

It seems like this site would be ideal place for a 'uk builders section' and as lot of people don't do blogs but do use forums, it could bring some projects to light that might otherwise be missed by the masses.

I'm thinking along the lines of a forum where a single thread is allowed per build/aircraft.

Would this work, or has it been tried and no one posted?

Ian Melville

Re: Builders forum

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:19 am

There are two forums here. One for the RANs S4 and S5 and one for the CX4. I suspect others would be set up if there was a demand.

However, there seems to be so many that have there own websites, or are international that it looks as if there is not a big call for UK only ones.
Ian Melville

JonEdmunds

Post by JonEdmunds » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:47 pm

I have seen the other dedicated forums but I was more thinking of a single forum where you were allowed one post per build, mainly for people who don't want to create a website or blogs. Creating a post is much easier than the other options so might persuade more people to show what they are doing who otherwise wouldn't bother.

As every new builder will come through here to start with it might grab their attention first before going elsewhere to log their build progress. If it could bring more traffic in then it could also bring some advertising revenue in to help the association.

It's not an issue for me as I've logged mine elsewhere now (although I would still post here as well if it was available).

Just thinking out loud really :D

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:49 am

Sounds like a good idea to me Jon and I will ask our website wizards if we can set something up.
Rgds, Brian.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi,

It would be good to see something like that here. It might encourage more people to get involved in building and I can see benefits in perhaps encouraging people to get involved in some of the group projects like the D of E Turbulent, or the school's Build-a-plane schemes.

A lot of good material gets posted on type specific forums like the Flitzer and Jodel groups on Yahoo, but sadly Yahoo groups seem to be getting worse in many respects rather than better and I can see all that information disappearing into the ether if Yahoo continues to loose ground.

I'd dare to suggest that one of the reasons this forum is regarded as a quiet, even possibly boring place, is that it is rather limited by being a members forum, whereas most discussion groups are open membership and international in scope. Another is that because we don't allow pictures as in line attachments, only as links. In the context of reporting and illustrating projects that, in my opinion would be a necessity.

I might get shouted at for suggesting this, but opening up this forum (or parts) to non-members might be a good promotional device for the Association. It would need some more work and perhaps a new attitude to its management and moderation, but the subject needs raising every so often. This forum has much untapped potential for promoting light aviation, but is really a bit of a closed shop with very people posting anything, it should be more vibrant and reflect our enthusiasm to a wider audience. We are seeing a decline in the 'Struts' or 'Clubs' around the country and this forum is really our Association's only internet based communication channel. Can we perhaps go for a broader request?

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:44 pm

You can post pictures Colin, they just need to be hosted somewhere else.
Ian Melville

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Ian,

I did say that, the point was that having them in the forum database is better, both for ease of use and for the archive value. As far as I remember, phpBB has it as an option but it is not enabled here.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese