Medical self-declaration

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

Medical self-declaration

Post by ChampChump » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 am

From the ANO:

Medical requirements for specified United Kingdom licences and National Private Pilot’s Licences

163.—(1) In this article, a specified licence means—

(a)a National Private Pilot’s Licence or United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence; or
(b)a United Kingdom Commercial Pilot’s Licence (Balloons) that is restricted to commercial operation and to the privileges of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Balloons and Airships).

(2) Subject to paragraph (7), the holder of a specified licence, or of a licence which includes the privileges of a specified licence, may exercise any of the privileges of the specified licence if the holder has—

(a)a valid medical certificate issued under article 161;
(b)a medical certificate granted under Section 2 of Subpart A of Part-MED, including one which is valid for a Light Aircraft Pilot Licence issued under Part-FCL; or
(c)made a medical declaration in accordance with paragraph (3) which has not ceased to be valid in accordance with paragraph (4) and the holder complies with the conditions in paragraph (5).

(3) The holder of a licence makes a medical declaration in accordance with this article if they—

(a)reasonably believe that they—
(i)meet the medical requirements for a Group 1 Licence issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency; and
(ii)are not subject to a disqualifying medical condition.
(b)make a declaration to that effect to the CAA in such form and in such manner as may be required or specified by the CAA; and
(c)in the case of a licence holder aged 70 years or more, have made such a declaration within the previous three years.

(4) A declaration made in accordance with paragraph (3)—

(a)ceases to be valid if it is withdrawn;
(b)must be withdrawn by the holder if they no longer reasonably believe that they satisfy the requirements of paragraph (3);
(c)may be withdrawn by the CAA if it has reason to believe that the holder—
(i)no longer meets the medical requirements in paragraph (3)(a)(i); or
(ii)is subject to a disqualifying medical condition.

(5) The holder of a licence who does not have a medical certificate and relies on satisfying the requirements of paragraph (3) may only exercise the privileges of the licence—

(a)in an aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of 5,700kg or less;
(b)with not more than three passengers on board;
(c)by day or when exercising the privileges of a night rating;
(d)in visual meteorological conditions or when exercising the privileges of an instrument meteorological conditions rating; and
(e)within the United Kingdom unless the holder has the permission of the competent authority for the airspace in which the aircraft is being flown.

(6) For the purposes of this article, “disqualifying medical condition” means any physical or mental condition or illness, or any history of such a condition or illness, including—

(a)any alcohol or drug abuse, addiction or misuse;
(b)any neurological condition;
(c)any functional disability;
(d)any surgery or medical treatment;
(e)any collapse, fainting or loss of consciousness;
(f)any history of (a) to (e); or
(g)such other medical conditions as the CAA may specify,
that might impair the safe operation of normal flight controls or render the licence holder unfit at any time to perform any function for which the licence is granted.

(7) The holder of a specified licence wishing to exercise night rating privileges must additionally meet the colour vision requirements of MED.B.075 of Part-MED in order to be so entitled.
Nic Orchard

mikeblyth

Re: Medical self-declaration

Post by mikeblyth » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Well that clears it up :?
Mike Blyth

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Surely d) must rule out 99% of the population. Who has never had some medical treatment or other. Am I disqualified because I had my tonsils out when a lad, or if I visit the dentist, or hurt my finger and need an Xray. It seems a bit vague in this respect.
John Luck

T Wilcock

Post by T Wilcock » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:08 pm

Flying John wrote:Surely d) must rule out 99% of the population. Who has never had some medical treatment or other. Am I disqualified because I had my tonsils out when a lad, or if I visit the dentist, or hurt my finger and need an Xray. It seems a bit vague in this respect.
Please read all the words, and particularly those after item G, ie "that might impair the safe operation of normal flight controls or render the licence holder unfit at any time to perform any function for which the licence is granted." Might your tonsillectomy impair the safe operation.....etc"? If not, then surely it's not relevant.
Trevor Wilcock

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:10 am

I heard that...... Pardon ?

I believe the lemon may be in play :D

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:00 am

Please read all the words, and particularly those after item G, ie "that might impair the safe operation of normal flight controls or render the licence holder unfit at any time to perform any function for which the licence is granted." Might your tonsillectomy impair the safe operation.....etc"? If not, then surely it's not relevant
That's not the way it reads to me, what follows under item g) does not apply to items a-f, but is stating any other medical conditions as the CAA may specify,that might impair the safe operation of normal flight, not the ones described in a-f as it says "any" and has a comma after g that implies what follows is part of the statement in g.

But whatever is right, the poor way the document is written, leaves the reader not really knowing what is and what is not allowed.

Neverthless I will continue to fly on my self declaration and hope the new route promised this summer will materialise before my Self Dec runs out. That will do me until 2018.
John Luck

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:36 am

John,

"that might impair" are the words below all items a. to....d....etc. So any operation (e.g.) you've had that doesn't impair IYHO is not a stopper.

mike.

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:03 pm

I note the ANO (2016) has been published . Do we know its implementation date and also when it will be possible to make a self declaration to the CAA? I gather it has to be online.
Colin
Colin Rule

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:03 pm

So what is the restriction on carrying a passenger now , if you need a Class 2 commercial vehicle level of exam what is it now on the self declaration? Is it for solo only and the doctors still needs to countersign for carrying others?
Graham Dawes

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Ok - so now we have the new self declaration in sight - I see that there is a form on CAA website to fill in on-line and submit, http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... 20&id=7493does anyone understand how it affects someone (me) with:-

Permit Aircraft (EASA permit).

Poo brown UK PPL(A)

GP self Declaration - soon to run out.

From another place, I have inferred that I can fill out the new form when my existing self declaration expires and continue to fly until April 2018 in UK airspace, but I cant find anywhere that actually confirms this - infact in the notes on the linked to form it says:
This medical declaration is not valid to fly aircraft for which you require a pilot’s licence issued under EASA Annex I (Part-Flight Crew
Licensing (FCL)) of Commission Regulation (EU) No.1178/2011. This means you may not fly an aircraft that holds an EASA certificate of
airworthiness or permit to fly unless you hold a Part-FCL Licence for that aircraft at the time of the flight.
Which to me means I cannot fly my EASA permit Aircraft at all.

Is there something in some other words somewhere that says I can continue until April 2018 ?

With any luck EASA will have adopted the same / similar scheme to us and it will be recognised as a valid medical status to fly EASA types too.

John
John Luck

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi John,

I've spent a few evenings compiling an article which should appear in this month's Light Aviation and will hopefully answer most questions about the new self-declaration which replaces the NPPL Medical Declaration.

EASA licences and national licences (UK PPL and NPPL) can be validated with a self-declaration - certain limitations apply when you do this as stated in the new ANO - the main one being UK airspace only unless you manage to get permission from another state.

The notes on the form are incomplete because they do not take account of the current derogation period. You will be able to fly EASA aircraft using a licence validated with a self-declaration within the privileges of a LAPL (i.e. 2,000kg or less, etc.) until April 2018.

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Thankyou Jon - that sets my mind at rest, I thought I was going to have to get a LAPL earlier than April 2018.

So all we need to do now is get Europe to recognise the Self Dec so we can fly to France etc and that would be the icing on the cake.
John Luck

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:55 am

Link to Jon's excellent article now online:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... edical.pdf

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:23 am

Could someone please point me to where one makes the self declaration.
A link would be handy
Colin
Colin Rule

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:31 am

C Rule wrote:Could someone please point me to where one makes the self declaration.
A link would be handy
Colin
Will be available on CAA website shortly. Apparently technical issues have delayed their putting the site up....