Medical self-declaration

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mikehallam

Re: Medical self-declaration

Post by mikehallam » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 am

FWIW.

I got the link off Pprune and completed it on line on Tuesday & rec'd the CAA acknowledgement e-mail right back.
BUT you must use Internet Explorer (like they say !) Then it all works.

P.S. It's even hidden and easily available in Win10 pc's just turn it on for that form completion. After that use your usual e.g.Mozilla.

mike hallam.

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:32 pm

Mike please can you post the link As I cannot find it
Thanks
Colin
Colin Rule

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Yes , I too had a trawl through CAA's publications list and couldn't find the form [ SRG1210 ?]

But I think that Steve's adjacent posting re: the updated ANO may just be a pointer.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Looks like it's been pulled as the original link of Pprune now doesn't come up with anything.

It is/was

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... 20&id=7493

mike hallam.

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:10 pm

As Far as I can see the CAA web site does not reflect the ANO 2016.
Nor does the NPPL website
I wonder why I am not surprised
Colin
Colin Rule

fuzzflyer

Post by fuzzflyer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks for the article Jon, I'm sure it's not easy to unscramble the mess we have had, probably a thankless task..

I have read it twice! And talked with three pilots last night and all still unsure.

My question would be: I hold a nppl ( I think!). It may be EASA!? I only fly a permit aircraft( 2016) sold throughout Europe,U K and the world.
I had a medical condition needing medication, (sold my previous 100hour plane at a big loss! because I didn't know I would be able to fly again!)
.Now 6 months later, its fine, and I have a current medical from a CAA doctor valid till 2017.(later my NHS doctor said he would not have refused my medical with the condition!)
Can I legally fly myself and a passenger to and in France and onward? And as my medical is current will this change to self declare next year? And will that allow legal foreign flight?
Myself and the plane are fully insured.
Ian Foster

fuzzflyer

Post by fuzzflyer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:41 am

Who is the internet explorer..
mikehallam wrote:FWIW.

I got the link off Pprune and completed it on line on Tuesday & rec'd the CAA acknowledgement e-mail right back.
BUT you must use Internet Explorer (like they say !) Then it all works.

P.S. It's even hidden and easily available in Win10 pc's just turn it on for that form completion. After that use your usual e.g.Mozilla.

mike hallam.
Ian Foster

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:23 pm

Can I legally fly myself and a passenger to and in France and onward? And as my medical is current will this change to self declare next year? And will that allow legal foreign flight?
The new CAA self-declaration will only allow you to exercise the privilege of an EASA or national licence in the UK. Without seeing your licence, class rating, and medical it is difficult to say what you're allowed to do. I have provided a summary of the combinations of licence/class rating/medical permitted but I have yet to update it to reflect the ANO changes. However, there is actually no change to those combinations of UK licences which allow flight beyond the UK.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... sition.pdf

If you want me to advise on your existing privileges, the easiest way is probably to send me a scan of your licence, certificate of revalidation and medical.

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 am

The new medical regulation is at its most inconsistent and gold-plated for the pilots of single-seat microlights.

The airworthiness of the single-seat microlight is de-regulated. There is no requirement under the ANO to demonstrate compliance to any design code. This enlightened change was made because there is negligible risk to third parties following catastrophic airborne failure. Public safety is therefore not enhanced by imposing a layer of airworthiness regulation. The pilot is fully responsible for any untoward event and all its consequences.

We would all agree the pilot of a single-seat microlight MUST be licensed appropriately. Competent and knowledgeable piloting is a fundamental requirement for navigating around our crowded airspace without placing third parties at serious risk; the CAA has a means of grounding miscreants by withdrawing their licences.

There is the same energy dissipation when a single-seat microlight impacts the ground, whether the event was triggered initially by say structural failure or pilot sudden incapacitation. If third party safety is not materially improved by imposing airworthiness regulation upon airframes why should medical regulation be imposed upon pilots?

If there is some dark reason lurking in the undergrowth that has escaped me, I could accept that pilots of single-seat should continue to meet the DVLA medical standard for car driving (the medical standard withdrawn a few days ago). A self-declaration to the CAA of item 5 on the car driving licence card is sufficient to establish currency. The very few non-driver pilots would need to demonstrate compliance with DVLA car driving standards.

For single-seat microlight operation, why does the CAA require pilots with ‘disqualifying conditions’ to meet the much more stringent and not inexpensive LAPL medical standard, when there is no airworthiness regulation of airframes? Public safety is not enhanced but some pilots of single-seata microlights will be grounded without good cause.
Richard

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:39 pm

The form and guidance is now live on the CAA website:

SRG1210: Pilot Medical Declaration
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=7493

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Jon
That link seems to be non-functional again

Colin
Colin Rule

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi Colin.
Jon's link nearly gets you in , but not quite. Try putting http://www.caa.co.uk/srg1210 into a search engine . When the page comes up , scroll down to the bottom where it says 'open form' then you should have the form there ready for filling in .
Once you've done this , the filled out form will arrive in your e-mail inbox for you to print off .
I know coz I've just done it ! :D

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:25 am

Jon,
You haven't addressed Richards comments. I thought I was safe as I had assumed that the NPPL declaration would continue, it would seem not from SRG1210 and your article in Light Aviation magazine. So am I am now forced, at additional expense, to use an AME for a LAPL medical, which, from the current wording, I will not pass on account of my hearing. Yet if I had previously held a Class 1 medical, I would be able to keep the Class 1 :roll:

The CAA website for medical requirement for a NPPL still refer to the assessment by a GP and the DVLA standards, they also make no mention of the new SRG1210 Pilot Medical Declaration. So is the website correct, or just out of date?

Section 163 of the 2016 ANO is a bit vague. It mentions only a 'Medical Declaration', but also mentions the DVLA group 1. Not a lot of good if the GP assessed Medical declaration is being withdrawn. DVLA Group 1 has no relevance to the LAPL medical.
Ian Melville

rszemeti

Post by rszemeti » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:19 pm

So, if I understand this correctly, as the holder of a "Poo Brown" UK "lifetime" PPL I can either:

Self-certify and be able to fly LAA homebuilts operating under a permit but NOT the club C152 on a COA

or

Get an LAPL from my doctor and fly LAA homebuilts on a permit AND the club C152 ... but only within the UK

or

Get a real Class II medical from an AME and fly fly LAA homebuilts on a permit AND the club C152 anywhere.

Do I have that right?
Robin Szemeti

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:21 pm

I think (as was explained to me) that you can continue to fly the Club 152 up to April 2018 on the declaration and a poo brown licence in UK airspace.

What is really needed is acceptance of this self declaration by the EASA gods, then we could continue to fly the Club 152 ( or other EASA types) after April 18 and into Europe too.

John
John Luck