Medical self-declaration

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

rszemeti

Re: Medical self-declaration

Post by rszemeti » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Having dug deep in the CAA site, I found this useful table:

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP ... eTable.pdf

In short, you are right, LAPL privileges on EASA up to April 2018 ... of course, with "brexit" looming, who knows how that situation will change.
Robin Szemeti

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi,

I haven't paid too much attention to these changes until now, but understand my options from the chart in that to fly our group owned C172 I need to maintain my LAPL medical after 2018, but I can fly non-easa after the cut off date on a declaration only. That's fine. I had thought that I'd need an NPPL to fly just non-easa on a declaration if I decide to drop the LAPL medical, but it seems I don't, that's logical.

I did wonder though how that affects people just wanting to train for an NPPL after the cut off date? Will it be possible to train for an NPPL in a typical flying school C152 or PA28?

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:26 pm

I would assume they would need a LAPL medical as a minimum to go solo.
Ian Melville

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Get an LAPL from my doctor and fly LAA homebuilts on a permit AND the club C152 ... but only within the UK
You can fly anywhere in the European Union with a LAPL. Article 11 of of Regulation (EC) 216/2008 reads:
Recognition of certificates
1. Member States shall, without further technical requirements or evaluation, recognise certificates issued in accordance with this Regulation. When the original recognition is for a particular purpose or purposes, any subsequent recognition shall cover only the same purpose or purposes.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Not if you have an NPPL. Though your quoted bit came from a post that showed a poo brown UK PPL, who should be OK.
Ian Melville

Clive Richards

Post by Clive Richards » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:06 pm

It seems that following a warning from AOPA the CAA have found that you can not use a medical declaration to fly a EASA aircraft on a EASA licence in UK as proposed as in EU law a GP or AME signature is required see flyer forum.
Clive

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:43 pm

This will probably be regarded as scope-creep, but not too much, I think.

I am just wondering about the potential insurance implications of self cert medicals.
If I have a prang and am knocked out, suffer concussion etc. is my insurance underwriter likely to try to use that as proof I might have had fainting/dizziness as a prior medical condition and use that as an excuse not to pay out as I was flying outside the conditions of the self cert medical.
Another plausible circumstance would be after the prang you get admitted to to hospital for a day or two and you display high blood pressure, either because of the circumstance or due to 'white coat syndrome'. Again the underwriter might point to this as a pre-existing condition that invalidates the self-cert.
An AME or GP is probably going to be on your side if they have issued you a medical.
With self cert medicals you only have you on your side!

I have only listed a couple of potential scenarios above - there are probably many more.
In the event of a fatality there is great potential for a post-mortem finding they could use to wriggle out of liability! OK, you wouldn't care, but do you want to leave your family with the possibility of a 3rd party claim?

I think I'll continue to pay my AME his £100 a time and I'll consider it as part of my insurance as much as part of my license.

Sorry to be so gloomy, but we live in a litigous and slopey-shouldered world!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.