Oshkosh 2018

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JimCrawford

Oshkosh 2018

Post by JimCrawford » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:29 pm

I have a plan to visit Oshkosh with my aircraft in 2018 but have hit a snag which I hope can be solved by the members of the various forums which I shall plague with a shotgun approach to posting in my search for advice.
I am a British Citizen with an ICAO compliant private pilot’s licence and medical. My aircraft is registered in the UK and operates under a Light Aircraft Association Permit to fly. For our American friends consider that similar to Experimental Homebuilt with somewhat tighter oversight. The aircraft is a Tipsy Nipper – a single engine (VW derivative) single seat aircraft with a max take off weight of 330Kg (726 lbs).
The snag involves insurance. I’ve been a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association for about 40 years so I approached the insurers that feature on the EAA website for cover whilst in the USA. They will only consider N registered aircraft. My UK policy covers me throughout Europe but cannot be extended to the USA. So how do I get 3rd party and hull cover for the US sector of this trip? I’d self insure for the hull if necessary, a value of ~ £13000 / $17000.
I know that foreign nationals flying foreign registered aircraft have visited Oshkosh, and that gliders are regularly shipped worldwide so it must be possible.
Shipping seems reasonably sensible, though costly (there’s a surprise). The LAA seem quite happy to make arrangements for rigging the aircraft on arrival and subsequent maintenance. So the first problem where I’ve drawn a blank has been this insurance issue. Any advice is welcomed.

Jim
LAA002559
EAA97006
Jim Crawford

Frank Parker

Re: Oshkosh 2018

Post by Frank Parker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:08 am

I suggest that you contact Norris Hibbler at Aircraft and Marine Insurance in Vancouver Washington state. They have written a lot of policies for Grumman Gang members amongst others, and are very competitive and customer oriented.

[email protected]

GeoffLewis

Post by GeoffLewis » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:28 pm

If you are flying there, speak to Visicover, they did me a very good deal this year for my flight to Oshkosh and return.
Good luck

samrutherford

Post by samrutherford » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 am

We're taking a group of planes across next year - and can sort your insurance without difficulty!

Please get in touch if this is helpful!

Safe flights, Sam.

JimCrawford

Post by JimCrawford » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your offer of help. I'd like to tap your font of knowledge but I'm afraid life has got in the way of aviation and I've had to delay my plans for a year. I've been sorting out aged parents, nursing homes and stuff. I haven't flown since March and don't expect to do any significant flying this year. Parts for my Nipper are still on the lathe since that time so I cannot realistically expect to be ready for Oshkosh. My current plan is to ship the aircraft over in 2019 and return in 2020 having done a couple of tours around the States.

I assume your fleet will be flying the pond. I expect that getting insurance and LAA approval for an overload tank for a Nipper for a trans-atlantic crossing could be challenging!

Regards

Jim
Jim Crawford

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:53 pm

A Nipper would certainly get noticed in the US. I can only find reference to 2 of them having been registered in the exhibition category, both factory built.

Given the cost of shipping 2 ways and dis-assembly/re-assembly involved; I'd suggest it was more practical to buy an aircraft over here for your tours and sell it afterwards.

The LAA did grant me a 50lb MTOW increase for such a trip in my RV-8, but no change to MLW and I got insurance from Visicover at very reasonable cost. Preparing a Nipper for such a trip would be quite a bit more challenging given the distances involved and the potential for poor weather.

Another consideration is getting the special flight authorisation for such a prolonged trip (see FAA order 8130.2H) may take quite a bit of negotiation.

If you've read "Flying the Oregon Trail" by Maurice Brett you may be interested in the pains they went to trying to do something similar. They ended up renting an Aeronca!
Mark Albery

samrutherford

Post by samrutherford » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 am

Cheaper and much more fun to fly across! :D

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I am also looking at flying there next year in our RV7, I would be interested to hear more of what is involved, costs and how you went about it etc, please pm me or email at ihoolahan , adding the standard hotmail.com after.

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Ian

Ron Mitcham did the trip this year in his RV7. I'll get him to contact you.

John