Newbie to LAA Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Seanjd

Newbie to LAA Rally

Post by Seanjd » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:12 am

Hi
This will be my first visit to the rally, so after any guidance & advice really.
Landing slot booked for Friday pm, and will be camping, so what are the must brings, nice to have etc, to make the most of the weekend?
Coming along solo, and I am a sociable type and would be happy to make some new aquaintances, rather than mooch around all weekend on my own!

Sean
G-BRWA
Sean Donno

P5151

Re: Newbie to LAA Rally

Post by P5151 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi Sean,

Tent and sleeping bag as a minimum. There is plenty of food and drink on site! Ohh a pillow too! Toothbrush and tooth paste and assuming you don't have a beard soap shaving kit and a towel! :D

Make sure you read the landing procedures, too many people fail to do this an make unnecessary radio calls, cut in on finals...... So a sharp lookout for trouble.

Have a great ti
Steve Arnold

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Jealous,,,,Moi ?
Wish I could be there , but the airline that I have nearly retired from , requires me to be on duty that weekend. [apparently, I'm indispensable,,, :lol: ]
There are quite a few lovely people from here who I have met up with and others who I haven't , so it would have been great to attend and put names to faces , drink beer etc,,etc.
Just one thing that Steve didn't mention though , and I'm sure you're going to need it...........

A sun-hat.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:28 am

Take an air bed. If the tent has room, a double. I keep falling off a single one.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:00 am

Hi,

Bring along anything suitable for the aircraft bits 'bring and buy' stall.

Should really be called 'buy and bring' as it's quite normal to buy that irresistable bargain one year and bring it back the year after when you realise you don't need it after all! If you start by bringing then you remain bargain neutral!

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Seanjd

Post by Seanjd » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for replies :)
Sean Donno

harries1

Post by harries1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:26 am

Hi Sean,
I'm a newbie too. In fact I am new to the LAA. I'm exploring what I need to do to start an RV-9 project. I plan on attending the rally myself (never been before) as it will likely be a good source of information. I'd be happy to hook up and consider myself to be a reasonably friendly and sociable type too. I haven't planned which day I'll be attending yet but it will be a day visit by car. PM me if this is of interest.
Regards,
Steve
Steve Harries

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:08 am

You'll end up buying an Aeronca if you speak to him !
Mind you , I know which one I'd prefer :D :D

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Steve

the Rally will be a definite source of information about RV building, not a likely source. Visit the Vans/GlosterAirparts stand A8/9 in Marquee A to meet owners/builders and get info on procedures and tools. Also, get out on the field to inspect the different models and talk to their owners.

The RV Squadron Yahoo Group is an excellent source of info, as is the website RVUK, rvuk.co.uk. Also, visit the LAA main stand, ask about the metalwork courses at Turweston in the autumn and put your name down for one.

PM me for me info.

John M
RV6A
G-TJDM

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:21 am

Gary (who runs the metalwork courses) will be in the Homebuilders Tent to demonstrate some of the basic metal working skills and answer questions. He'll be happy to talk to you about RVs too, and actually built his own 9.
Dick VanGrunsven will be at the show as well, and will be speaking in Speakers' Corner on Friday and Saturday.
Rgds, Brian