MORE STOLEN ROTAX ENGINES

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

SteveSlater

MORE STOLEN ROTAX ENGINES

Post by SteveSlater » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Sad to report, three more Rotax engines stolen, along with tools, headsets etc. This time from Holmbeck Farm airfield, Wing, Buckinghamshire.

The thefts follow a similar scenario as those reported in Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire earlier this year. In this case three aircraft were targeted, two gyroplanes and a Skyranger. All three had relatively low-hours engines, which were removed, but the pusher propellers from the gyros were left behind. It is noteworthy too, that two other aircraft on the strip with high hours 912 engines were left untouched. As with the previous thefts, it was clearly a planned raid, with the thieves accessing the airfield across country and removing the engines with care.

ALL MEMBERS, please be on the lookout for ‘too good to be true’ bargain offerings, and please also exercise due vigilance if you fly from a private strip, perhaps reinforcing any security. We’re liaising with the local Police to share our knowledge of the earlier incidents. If you have any information which can help apprehend these villains, please contact LAA HQ.

SteveSlater

Re: MORE STOLEN ROTAX ENGINES

Post by SteveSlater » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Latest information from Holmbeck Farm. These are the details and serial numbers of the stolen engines:

Rotax 912 100 hp serial number 6-776-335
Rotax 914 Turbo serial number 7-682-547
Rotax 912 UL 80 80-HP serial number 4400622

If you come across one of these engines, please contact LAA HQ, Thames Valley Police on 01865 841148 or Crimestoppers, 0800 555111.

iancallier

Post by iancallier » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:12 pm

I think it is a little naïve to think these will be on the UK market.
Far easier to be in a country where serials are not recorded. Not so far from the ferry ports, eh!

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:01 am

SteveSlater wrote: If you come across one of these engines, please contact LAA HQ, Thames Valley Police on 01865 841148 or Crimestoppers, 0800 555111.
Well done Steve , I'm glad to see that you listed them in their correct order of usefulness. At least the good folk at Turweston actually will be interested in the matter and willing to listen/help if need be. Whereas the other two branches of the Social Services,,,,,,,,,,,Nuff said !
I've never actually managed to work out why they call themselves "Crimestoppers" , isn't that a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act ?
But I digress . I am sure that Ian is right and the chances of them still being this side of the Channel is probably pretty remote and surely the most lucrative way of dispensing with them is to dismantle them for spares .
I hope that this doesn't come across as politically provocative , but access to rotables and wear parts for Rotax 9-series on a PtF is not only somewhat restrictive ,but also prohibitively expensive , both here and in the USA , so it follows that mainland Europe has the same problem and second-hand spares sold in Europe may not create too much of a ripple if they were nicked here.
This is a problem created by Rotax themselves as their service/spares policy is somewhat dictatorial [must be an Austrian thing :wink: ]and something of an insult to their customers. Take the 9-Series fuel pump for example , an automotive component with an aviation quality price-tag.
I apologise to the poor victims of all this as this doesn't help them much , but you can see where the incentive to nick them comes from....The Rotax Factory !

iancallier

Post by iancallier » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Likely, these items on a ferry even before the owners woke up in the morning!

ROB. THOMASSON

Post by ROB. THOMASSON » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:46 am

I'm told another load were stolen in the last few days. I'll try and get the details as soon as possible.

ROB. THOMASSON

Post by ROB. THOMASSON » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:44 pm

The little TRACKR for £25 could be worth a look.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:11 pm

The TRackR sounds like a good idea until you read the blurb.....It requires another TRackR user to come within 100ft of it in order for it to notify you via GPS!....So I wonder how many they have sold in eastern europe?
Alan Radford

ROB. THOMASSON

Post by ROB. THOMASSON » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:44 am

I realised how short the range was just after I posted! A case of read the headline, not the tech ;-( Anyone here know about the mobile phone based alarms you can get? I realise lack of mains power is a problem at many airfield but a solar cell and a big battery may work. Keeping your head down and hoping it isn't you next isn't going to work. When I was at London Colney we had so many break ins we had to keep stuff off site in the end.