Gyro instruments

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

coxargus

Gyro instruments

Post by coxargus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:51 pm

I am toying with the idea of fitting 'Falcon Gage' Vacuum horizon and DI. However as they are uncertified and probably of far eastern origin was wondering if anyone out there had any experience as to their reliability - the price is right but would I be buying a load of trouble?
Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.
Frank
Frank Cox

Trevor Harvey

Re: Gyro instruments

Post by Trevor Harvey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:22 am

I've had a Falcon airspeed indicator for 8 years with no problems. Under the impression they are American built.

coxargus

Post by coxargus » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Trevor - just FYI and nothing else and after further research
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/ ... 200n-3.php
shows that Falcon Gauge are in fact Chinese in origin.

I am told by others in the States that their gyros have a life expectancy of around 5 years.

I was, and still am, soliciting opinions/experiences of users of their gyros this side of the pond.

Frank
Frank Cox

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Frank . They are definitely Chinese . I have Falcon ASI and Alt in my aeroplane . They have worked just fine for 12 years now , but I treat them very much on a caveat emptor type basis .

May I ask why you want to fit a gyro powered instrument to your aeroplane ? Are you going to be flying day/VFR , or the 'other option'.
If you're day/VFR then save your money. If you're opting for 'the dark side' then you may find it more of a 'life expediency decision' to dig a bit [a lot] deeper.
The good old slip-ball is your real lifesaver, the gyro instrument only tells you your angle of bank and if you've got that wrong , then the slip-ball will be screaming at you.
Same with a DI . What's the instrument you use to set it by ?

If you are a possible IFR candidate then ignore most of the above. If not , then you only need 3 instruments. How high ? How fast ? Which way ! Happy Flying Mate :D

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Well I for one would always fit at least one gyro instrument, prefeably a AH, in a traditional VFR panel. If for example you are crossing the channel and encounter haze then it can be quite disorienting when a boat comes into view travelling in an unexpected direction. I have a much more vivid example from my own experience that really frightened me but this is not the place for chapter and verse. Suffice to say the AH was critically important - It was a low cost PFA (as was) flea market purchase that flew about 10 degs port wing down as the bearings had become excessively worn by the time of the incident. Heaven only knows what might have happened had it actually toppled. I bought a new one the next day.

Nobody but a fool willingly flies a simple Permit aircraft in anything other than VFR conditions. But as thd years roll by there will be the odd occasion when the best laid plans go awry and then you might be very glad indeed of a gyro instrument (and get some appropriate training with an Instructor). Just my two pennies worth.
Richard

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Richard .. I enjoyed reading your post and you raise a couple of good points there.
If you see a boat travelling in an unexpected direction , try and establish if it's a car ferry [same-ish direction] or a big container ship [probably athwartships]. If it's coming towards you , then you really are in it.
As far as your flea market purchase was concerned. Then I think you've answered Frank's question perfectly . :D