A vote of thanks to Brian Hope

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Alan George

A vote of thanks to Brian Hope

Post by Alan George » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Recently on this forum Brian Hope (& other volunteers) has received rather personal flak for:
- the demographic of attendees at the rally,
- the content of the magazine,
- an award to someone I will not mention again.

He must really wonder why he bothers. So in response:
- I was happy with the rally,
- the magazine is excellent,
- the full story was not known at the time.

So Brian (& other volunteers) :
- thank you for the effort and time you give to this members association
- you have my support for the decisions you made.

Alan George LAA 031468

Chris Martyr

Re: A vote of thanks to Brian Hope

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:35 am

Totally agree there Alan !

I think poor old Brian is hurting a bit at the moment and he has no reason to be doing that .
I did just smile to myself at Brian Davies' recent comment that we could do with another dozen Brian Hopes.
It did just conjure up visions of a 1970's Monty Python sketch where there were Alan Whickers wandering around reporting from everywhere.
The old boy is indeed worth his weight in gold , and from his photo on the homepage..................

That's a bloody lot of gold ... :lol:

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:27 am

Thank you Alan but it really isn't necessary. I've been around long enough to know that if you stick your head above the parapet then you are going to have to take a few pot shots.
More importantly, the LAA isn't about me or any other single person of group; it's strength is in the spirit of a membership that willingly helps fellow members achieve their ambitions and goals, it is about the volunteers who have the time and inclination to provide services and enjoyable activities that would otherwise not be possible, and it is about a committed staff that fortunately don't turn up at nine and leave at five just 'to do a job'. Together we can conquer the world. I am proud to be a member of an an organisation that has enabled thousands of people to build, maintain, own, fly and/or simply enjoy aircraft - something that can all too easily be taken for granted.
I'm not hurting Chris, I'm big enough and ugly enough to take the flak, but I am disappointed. I make it a point never to send an email or comment on a forum in a manner I would not be prepared to use if I was talking to the person involved face to face. To do otherwise is, in my view, tantamount to cowardice. I'm certainly not a fan of TCT but I see nothing virtuous in the the way in which too many people, most of whom I suspect have never even met her, have commented on her. Relate the facts by all means but is total character assassination really necessary or reasonable? We are all adults here and, I hope, can assimilate facts without the vitriolic enhancement and make up our own minds about whether we agree or otherwise that she has been disingenuous.
Likewise with the Rally. Not everybody is going to enjoy every aspect of it we know, and of course we want people to comment on what they believe are shortcomings so that we can consider how we can improve things. But why not do it from a point of wanting to be constructive rather than taking a pop at the volunteers that put in their time and enthusiasm to make it happen? I have seen too many good people walk away over the years because ungrateful gob****** have trashed their efforts. None of us are perfect but engaging the brain before opening our mouths - or tickling the keyboard - really would make the world a better place.
I, by the way, am in no hurry to depart, I intend annoying you all for a while yet. As two of the Rally Committee have retired (so an enormous thank you to Ian Harrison and Nigel Ramsay) pretty well by default I have taken on the role of Rally Chairman for 2017. The event, rightly in my view, has tight financial constraints but we will be endeavouring to bring you another great weekend at Sywell. We are genuinely interested in your ideas for the event so by all means tell us about them and we will certainly consider them. I have some ideas on how we might enhance the youth/education presence, but they are very much in the very early stages. In the meantime, on behalf of all the volunteers that make this great Association work as well as it does, thanksyou to the vast majority of the membership that appreciate the effort they put in. If you can spare a little of your time, why not get involved, you really do get more out if you put more in!

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Keep up the good work Brian!

Ian

Harry Hopkins

Post by Harry Hopkins » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Alan,

Many thanks for your excellent post. I thoroughly enjoy the Rally and am most grateful to Brian, Ian, Nigel and Penny (yes, she does a great deal to make it all go so well).

I also agree that we have a brilliant magazine and have told Brian so on a few occasions.

As for the awards saga, I'm one of those being sniped at and will be at the AGM to face the music.

Thanks again Alan, and of course Brian.

Harry Hopkins

samrutherford

Post by samrutherford » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Another vote for everyone working at/for/with the LAA - and to repeat that it is normal that the Bill Woodhams Trophy was awarded last year as it was. There is no suggestion whatsoever that it was made in anything other than good faith.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Harry old chap,
I will be at the AGM and will be delighted to meet all the other participants.
I come as a man of peace and will only be attending because of my interest in the integrity and future of the LAA .

If any 'sniping' takes place, then I will be straight off back to deepest Sussex again. The feelings of unease are definitely not directed at our Association . It's the ones trying to ride along on 'our' organisation's excellent and quite rightly deserved 70 year old reputation that I would like to see stamped on.
I console myself with the thought that all other delegates will be attending in a similar state of mind.
Which I'm sure will be the case .

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:04 pm

The old boy is indeed worth his weight in gold
I think you meant in "custard creams" :wink: :wink:

Have you seen the price of Gold !
John Luck

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Having organised only a small fly-in and attended Sywell I have much admiration for the rally committee.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:31 pm

He's a Diamond Geezer, our Bri!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.