Need some new seat cushions.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Catanach

Need some new seat cushions.

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Title says it all, they're for a Jodel Mascaret which has at the moment something nicked from cheap garden furniture. When flying it back Jerez the limiting factor on sector length wasn't fuel or toilet breaks or boredom, it was impending paraplegia.

I've eyeballed a few and they range from 'waffer theen' to 'tart's boudoir'. Ideally I'd like something in between in medium density foam. Any suggestions?

Brian Hope

Re: Need some new seat cushions.

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 pm

You can't do better than Confor Foam which is not only comfortable over long periods, but also a safety aid in that it absorbs impact forces in an accident, thus protecting the spine. It comes in three densities and you can make up a cushion from different densities. I bought mine in the US from this company - http://www.seatfoam.com/index.html and could fly my Jodel comfortably on over four hour legs. Certainly more expensive than ordinary foam but well worth every penny, you won't worry about bum ache ever again. There are probably UK dealers in the same or similar stuff, it is popular with glider pilots apparently.

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks Brian.

I've had a few recommendations for them, looks like my best bet.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi All

Just a suggestion but we need to be aware of seat foam that absorbs impact slowly. That energy - from a hard landing or accident - needs to go somewhere and if all the foam does is absorb the foam to then transmit it once the aircraft comes to a full stop (or almost) then all the impact is tansmitted to the spine at once. Just like pushing a spring down by hand- irt compresses until the very end when all the compression is released at once.

The better option is a foam that gradually transmits the force to the body. It's one of the reasons ejection seats in fast jets don't use foam cushions. In the end it's a balance between comfort for the long journey and safety for the (possible) final impact! Just a thought to be aware of!

Cheers

T
Harry Cook

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:06 am

Topcat
That is exactly what Confor Foam and Dynafoam ( from AFE) are designed to do.
Ian Melville