STOLEN ROTAX ENGINES - CAN YOU HELP?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

SteveSlater

STOLEN ROTAX ENGINES - CAN YOU HELP?

Post by SteveSlater » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:27 am

As you may already be aware, there has been a spate of thefts of Rotax engines and other flying equipment from LAA and BMAA aircraft. Sadly in the past week there have been further thefts from airfields at Audley End, Benwich and Fenland. We estimate now that more than 20 engines have been stolen in recent months.

To assist the Police, we are working with the BMAA to collate a central list of thefts so far and engine details including serial numbers. If you have been a victim please follow the link below to a report form hosted on the BMAA web site and complete the details for the database. If you know of anyone who has had an engine stolen who may not get this email, please pass on the information and ask them to complete the form. Please complete the form as soon as possible to get things moving.

Link to the form: http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=13639 or search “stolen engine data”

Please help us stop the thieves.

Steve Slater for LAA
Geoff Weighell for BMAA

Paul Catanach

Re: STOLEN ROTAX ENGINES - CAN YOU HELP?

Post by Paul Catanach » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:07 pm

The problem for many is that our airstrips are remote and unguarded with no power or Internet coverage. Surely between us and the BMAA we can design a solar powered camera system utilising GSM? It won't stop them but might gain some useful info on them or their vehicles.

Something to discuss in the Q&A session at the AGM?

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Yes, the post AGM discussions would be a great place to discuss this. Many sites, including some of those targetted by thieves, have had CCTV operatin, but sadly it hasn't stopped the thefts occuring.

We're currently looking at some other activities such as engine marking and tracking systems. I'll happily give an update at the AGM, but in the meantime if anyone can help us with any intelligence information, please follow the link to the BMAA website or drop me a personal e-mail to [email protected]

Foggyb

Post by Foggyb » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Ladies/Gents,

firstly can I please introduce myself.

I am a serving police officer in a rural force with many years of crime scene examination and crime prevention knowledge as a scene of crime officer and patrol officer on the beat I have a taste experience of policing knowledge. I am currently serving on a police helicopter unit in the East of England. I have been flying for 35 years plus PPL/CPL with fixed-wing/rotary experience and Hot-Air balloons and have worked in the aviation industry and the military.

I would like to offer up some ideas as follows..........

I see that the BMAA are asking for details of stolen ROTAX engines. What I would like to do is make a database of all existing ROTAX engines, whether fitted to an a/c, in store ready to be fitted, in storage as not yet sold or supplied and stolen ones. This would incorporate where they are stored or sited etc so that I can speak with the relevant force area and make them aware. As a LAA member I am more than happy to manage this in order to try and prevent / detect any such criminal activity.

I will be sending a similar message to the BMAA offering my assistance.

From a crime prevention perspective can I suggest (without in any way being patronising at all), to Keep it simple - and a little creativity to the situation.

One very simple example in overcoming the lack of electricity is the use of heavy duty vehicle batteries as a power source. Hidden away and secure which supply a low voltage supply to a domestic alarm "sound Bomb". In line is situated an isolation switch which is secreted away and switched on when leaving, off before entering the building. Magnetic alarm contacts are placed at all openings that make and break when the opening is activated in any way. When activated the noise is deafening and any intruders will want to leave. The cost is minimal and can incorporate auto diallers to a cell phone. All the times can be purchased at relatively small cost compared to the cost of replacing the stolen items and the cost of repairing the damaged building. Obviously this could be supplemented with the additional cost of instilling solar or wind turbines but harnessing and storing the power also comes with a cost using this method of power generation and not all clubs/owners/syndicates may necessarily be supportive of this.

Again with the use of batteries these need to be checked regularly, swapped and charged. This does rely on a small team of people who are prepared to make the additional effort and time to manage this system.

If anyone does want to receive a crime prevention survey from the local police I would suggest that you contact your local police crime prevention officer as most forces have officers that are experienced and are qualified as architectural police officers and can give free advice on these matters. If anyone has problems getting any support or assistance then please contact me directly. Details below.

I will place my contact details on this post should anyone wish to take up the offer of having their details collated into a database with regards to the ROTAX engines or want further assistance with crime prevention etc.

I will follow this post on the forum but I cannot monitor on a daily basis.

I welcome all comments and ideas, good bad and indifferent.

I just feel that I would like to do something positive in order to prevent in the first instance as a fellow flyer, future a/c owner and a member of the hot fuzz! and locate/detect & convict the scum that feel that it is ok to target specific aircraft and steal their engines.

Obviously if we can be alerted to criminal activity at the first possibly opportunity then we can try and catch the scum in action.

can I please ask that if you use the email address below that in the subject line you type: LAA ROTAX then I will know that it relates to this subject and is not spam etc.

Paul Phillips (Foggyb)

[email protected]

Your local bonafide alarm company can advise but as always be aware if who knows that such a system is installed. Knowledge is power etc................
Paul Phillips

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:14 am

Paul, you have email.

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 pm

Likewise Paul. Many thanks for the advice and you have a mail from me in your inbox...

Steve S.

Foggyb

Post by Foggyb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks guys I have the emails I'm in work tomorrow and will start the ball rolling and reply fully then. Thanks Paul
Paul Phillips

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Apropos this appalling spate of stolen engines, I stumbled across a very cheap tracker technology that may be able to track your engine just by affixing a small disc the size of a 10 pence bit somewhere on your engine. This will enable you to trace the whereabouts of your engine with a smartphone.

Details here:

https://www.thetrackr.com/

Seems a very cheap means of tracking your engine. I guess the trick is to conceal the disc in a crafty position. It might also lead you to the whereabouts of the scumbags who nicked it.

Thought it was worth highlighting this, if it saves one engine, it's worth it.
Robert Freestone

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:53 pm

FoggyB.

Any progress?

Foggyb

Post by Foggyb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:26 am

Guys,

Sorry for the lack of action, work has taken me off grid very unexpectedly and at very short notice. I have only just got back into the fold and am slowly catching up in admin. Today is my first day back in the norm at work and catching up on "stuff". I have made some progress within force but encountering some resistance re data protection etc. I have had no response from the BMAA but will follow this up with a call later today. I was planning on attending the AGM to discuss further with Steve S and others but my redeployment happened with no warning so I missed out. I will respond to all PM'S over the coming days and any progress on my part will be published.
Paul Phillips