REVISED SELF-DECLARED MEDICAL FORM ISSUED BY CAA

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

SteveSlater

REVISED SELF-DECLARED MEDICAL FORM ISSUED BY CAA

Post by SteveSlater » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Delighted to pass on the good news that following representations from LAA, BMAA, BGA and BBAC; the CAA has today issued a revised Medical Self Declaration form for UK PPL and NPPL holders.
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalappli ... rm&id=7493

This now has an additional clause stating:

To Only Fly an Aircraft of 2000kg MTOW or Less
You may fly an aircraft of 2000kg or less, provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness, by declaring your fitness to fly by ticking the ‘no greater than 2000kg’ declaration at the end of this form.

This effectively returns us to the position agreed during last year’s ANO consultation. If you’re fit to drive to the airfield, you’re fit to fly!

Big thanks especially are due to Geoff Weighell of the BMAA for co-ordinating responses and to Tony Rapson at the GA Unit for responding so promptly to our concerns.

(Note: this only applies to UK national, CAA PPL and NPPL holders flying aircraft under 2000kg MTOW. If you are flying an aircraft up to 5700kg MTOW and you have a health issue specified on the form, or are the holder of an EASA PPL or LAPL, the relevant aircrew medical requirements still apply)

C Rule

Re: REVISED SELF-DECLARED MEDICAL FORM ISSUED BY CAA

Post by C Rule » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:11 pm

Well done to the team that achieved this.
Sanity reigns
Colin Rule

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Quite agree - thanks to all and especially to Geoff (I joined the BMAA after learning about the effort he was making on all behalves).

But can someone please post a link to the revised CAA form that works

Thanks
Richard

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Ian Melville

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks Ian,

I'm not feeling quite myself anymore.... its the shock you see.
My worst fear is psychiatric drugs to treat Stockholm syndrome.
Just can't win sometines.
Richard

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:05 pm

I heartily endorse all the above.

Many thanks to all involved!

Ian

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:36 am

Another vote of much appreciation to all concerned. Well done gentlemen.
Sanity returns.

2greens1red

Post by 2greens1red » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:48 am

In the small print:

Geographical Limitations
This declaration is not recognised internationally as an International Civil Aviation Organisation medical certificate. You may not use it to fly outside of the UK, unless you have obtained advance permission from the relevant aviation authority of the country being overflown.

Could be interesting explaining to foreign CAAs that one doesn't have a medical certificate but could we fly into your territory?

Or have I misinterpreted that clause?
Richard Lyon

terryws

Post by terryws » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Serious thanks due to all those who negotiated these corrections - will make a real difference to many pilots in extending their flying years. Well done!!
Terry Slater

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:38 am

Could be interesting explaining to foreign CAAs that one doesn't have a medical certificate but could we fly into your territory?

In that respect it is no different to the previous NPPL medical declaration.
Microlight pilots will be able to fly to the (few) countries which do not require prior authorisation for aircraft and pilots that comply with the regulations of their home country.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Donald Walker wrote:

In that respect it is no different to the previous NPPL medical declaration.
Microlight pilots will be able to fly to the (few) countries which do not require prior authorisation for aircraft and pilots that comply with the regulations of their home country.

How do you know that?....Do have have a point of reference??..Just because that scenario somehow was used by microlighters (legally?)under the old GP NPPL declaration does not necessarily mean that still applies now does it.
A point that needs CAA clarification methinks.
Alan Radford

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Not much use asking the CAA to clarify what other countries will accept.

Here is the point of reference that will be of most interest to microlight pilots: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/eli/arre ... A/jo/texte
ULM pilots in France are only required to get a certificate of "No contraindication to ULM flying" from a GP when they first apply for a licence, so it is not surprising foreign pilots do not need a medical either.
French pilots are not restricted to French airspace because they lack a medical certificate. If no prior permission is required as, for example, to visit the Czech Republic or Germany, the French and ourselves fly on what is legal in our own country.

http://lis.rlp.cz/ais_data/www_main_con ... en_aip.htm 1.2.6.1

http://www.dulv.de/Info-for-foreign-Pilots/E1024.htm

More references can be found here http://emf.aero/wordpress/wp-content/up ... urope1.pdf

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:58 pm

Fair enough....Very interesting.
Thanks.
Alan Radford

Kisbulo

Post by Kisbulo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:45 pm

About three weeks ago I submitted my Self Declaration to the CAA but received no acknowledgement that it has been received there. I re-submitted it a few days ago, again with the same result. I then e-mailed the CAA asking if they had received either of my declarations : in case I had ¨finger trouble¨ sending it on both occasion, but my query apparently did not merit a reply from them. :(
I have now the following questions awaiting an answer: a) what proof would I have in case of an accident to show that I filed a declaration with the CAA and declared myself fit to act as PIC of the aeroplane, therefore was legally entitled to act in that capacity, and: b) in as much as there is no space allocated on the form to show the date when it was submittedt, how could one prove that it was still current and had not passed the length of time stipulated by the CAA for its validity/expiration? Furthermore, at my biennial flight reviews I always had to furnish a copy of a valid ¨medical¨along with my logbook to the Examiner but now he can only take my word for that a) I had in fact declared myself fit to fly as PIC and b) that my declaration was still in force. Hmmmm :?:
Joe Kovacs

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:26 am

Presuming your browser was one that fits into their rather narrow choices, the form should have bounced straight back to you, with the date and a number added in the top right corner. That's it; save it &/or print it.

My old 'puter clonks along on Windows XP; I use Opera and Firefox, depending on what works where and in this case it had to be Firefox.

Apart from that, I have no ideas, I'm afraid. I hope you can get it sorted out.
Nic Orchard