Grass Strip

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

sport350

Grass Strip

Post by sport350 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:49 pm

I had a quick search through the forum to see ifanyone had spoken about this previuosly - but I couldn't spot anything. I am considering buying a patch of land (about 8 acres) with road frontage. Does anyone know what the implications are about flying in and out of grass strips. Is it the same as caravans and boot sales where you are allowed (I think) about 21 movements a year before you need planning permission. Constructive comments are always welcome.
Regards, David

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:33 pm

There is a 28 day rule where there is no planning permission required for a private airstrip,but be careful about location and I would certainly discuss your intentions with as many locals as possible to avoid problems at a later date. ie when you spent all your hard earned. CAP 428 from the CAA will give you as much info as you need

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:37 pm

Get hold of a copy of Country Flying by Geoffrey Farr. It's old, but very much still useful and has been recommended to others asking similar questions. There was a thread on another forum that I can't find, but if I do I'll post a link.
Nic Orchard

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:42 pm

I found this, but it's not the one I was thinking of....
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/27 ... strip.html

I presume I'm allowed to mention that other place? :?
Nic Orchard

iancallier

Post by iancallier » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Well-I'm not altogether sure that talking to 'as many as possible' is the correct approach
i have operated a few strips, (with much of Geof farr's useful advice). But many folk near my strip - do not even know I am there. Choose a quiet aeroplane, not a Cessna 185 or RV then do a little discrete flying before full operations. Talk to the one's who can see into the field (take a Cub in so they can see how small it is).
Your problems will not be the folk there now but the one's who move in in 3 years time