VW 2180 advice

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

craigrhopkins

VW 2180 advice

Post by craigrhopkins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Greetings All

I am looking for a 2180 VW and was planning to advertise in the back of the LAA mag for one.

However, I don't know much about engines, so looking for a few pointers please....
I wouldn't know if I was buying an engine that is best used as an anchor - or a great one.

I would ideally like to find a VW aero expert that could provide some assistance in this regard... any suggestions of who I could approach?

Any idea's on what I would likely be needing to fork out to get one?

My thanks
Craig

Chris Martyr

Re: VW 2180 advice

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 pm

craigrhopkins wrote: I would ideally like to find a VW aero expert Craig
Craig , I definitely cannot aspire to being one of those , although I did build the VW engine in my baby, G-EVPI. Firstly , are you sure that it is the 2180cc VW that you need . What type of aeroplane do you have in mind for this installation ?
You don't tend to see many 2180cc VW's over here , probably due to the extra work involved in the initial build. The cylinders and pistons in the 2180cc VW are the 92mm items that are used in the 1834cc VW's , the bit that makes it slightly more complicated is the long throw "stroker" crankshaft that is required to take it up to 2180cc. Another thing that puts people off is that some of the webbing in the crankcase has to be machined away to accommodate the longer throw crank.
Another issue in the past has been the prop hub on the 2180 , which has had a tendency to crack , although I believe that issue has been resolved now.
If you do find one for sale , then its price will depend on how many hours it has done and its history, but like most others , a good yardstick is what oil pressure it shows when warm in the cruise [about 45-50psi] and also its compressions. A good common-sense method of doing this is by pulling the prop. through 4 blades when warm and seeing if the compressions appear roughly equal.
You may well find that the aeroplane you have in mind will perform very well with the 1834cc version , which uses the standard 69mm throw crankshaft . Which is absolutely bullet proof.

If you're really set on a 2180cc VW , then have a look at Great Plains Aircraft Engines website [if you haven't already] The guy who runs it goes by the name of Steve Bennet and he really IS a VW expert.
Also , I should mention Acro Engines in Cleveland UK. Run by Tim and Barry Smith, who are also VW guru's and very nice blokes.
Good luck Craig...VW , the best aero engine ever put into a car... 8)

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi Chris, unfortunately Steve Bennett died about 18 months ago but he passed the business on to another chap about a year before so it continues as was. Although I cannot vouch for his level of expertise I understand the new owner is also a knowledgeable VW man.
Craig, as Chris says, a good 1834 puts out enough power for most applications, though it is struggling with fast two seaters like the Sonerai or KR2. Give it more wing area and a slower airspeed - a Cygnet for instance - and it will probably cope OK.
A 2180 will cost a lot more money to put together - big crank, extra machining, more complex prop hub etc. (Great Plains do a special prop hub with an enlarged front main bearing). I think the two best, and most affordable, options are a Great Plains engine kit, or a AeroConversions (Sonex) engine kit. In the long run I think either will be less hassle than dealing with car hot-rodders in the UK who do not have the experience of the US engine guys regarding aviation requirements.
If Acro Engines' Barry Smith is still doing engines it is worth having a chat with him, he is extremely knowledgeable but I don't think he has much time for 2180 conversions.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44 pm

What's the Sauer, German VW 'Aero Enine' like ?
Well praised in the current LAA Magazine and used in the Groppo Trail.

If the O.P. has good reasons for a VW and Eu source might prove easier the Groppo kit is sold by LAA Inspector Graham Smith - as I'm sure most cognoscenti are aware.

mike hallam

craigrhopkins

Post by craigrhopkins » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks all for the reply....

It is a Viking Dragonfly Chris - so a plane that needs more HP rather than less.

It last flew with a 2180 so cowl and engine mount all set up for it. While I would like to go Rotax for the extra power, quickest fix now is to find a 2180.

Any idea on price for a reasonable one? I have seen VP1's go fpr £2.5k-£4k and while it is the smaller engine you get a whole plane at that price...

Will give Barry a call - thanks for the lead.
Thanks all again
Regards
Craig Hopkins