Rally 2017

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Hendry-Smith

Rally 2017

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Can anybody confirm the dates for the LAA Rally in 2017, cant find them anywhere??

Cheers

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Alan Kilbride

Re: Rally 2017

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm

1-3 Sept.
It's at Sywell again and I believe it's on the LAA wall planner.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Many thanks Alan, I have been looking everywhere, cant find in the mag, on the website nor on any of the other aviation websites??
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:35 pm

I too needed the dates the other day, and eventualy found them. Considering the size and importance of the Rally, I am suprised not to be able to find it in event lists etc.
Ian Melville

r_w_walker

Post by r_w_walker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Got the dates - booked a slot.

A bit apprehensive of actually flying in.

Read the AIC think I understand the procedures apart from I cannot get the coordinates on the arrivals chart to match the indicated flight path?

Southern co ordinates put the track South of Pitsford village but the chart indicates a track North of the village?

If I see an aircraft ahead do I just follow it? If he appears to be going away from my intended route I think I would stay on my planned route.

Any body flown in before able to offer any advice??
Robert Walker

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 am

Join at Pitsford. If any one is front, foller the beggar, if not go into downwind and when on final and only then---call final. Land. Go to the bar. Congratulate yourself with a beer.
Remember, Keep a good lookout and a good eye on 'im in front. The fellers behind have nowt to do wi' you.
Relax and enjoy it. It's only once a year, most Pilots don't have a heart attack and contrary to common belief, most of them don't cut in front inverted, with smoke to balk you.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 am

1. Keep a very good lookout all around but basically follow the procedure in the AIC.
2. When on Final keep a reasonable distance from the aircraft in front as well; you don't really want to have to overshoot and go round again (unless necessary).
3. From my experience you rarely see any aircraft until the last few miles, then they all appear!
4. Keep a lookout for aircraft not following the procedure.... On my last visit I had a very close encounter with a low wing cutting in and drifting over the top of me (high wing) while I was on final....
Tony
Tony Nowak

r_w_walker

Post by r_w_walker » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 am

Many thanks for the constructive replies.

If I just follow the aircraft in front I hope the pilot is fully briefed on the procedure and not just going somewhere else oblivious of the event!

Hopefully I will spot if the aircraft in front is not following the procedure and will not follow them.

Might then be accused of cutting corners, since there are different perceptions of where the corners should be.

I intend to fly between Pitsford airfield and Pitsford village as indicated on the diagram.

The southern coordinates put aircraft south of Pitsford village and closer to head on traffic returning to the hold after a baulked landing on 21.
Robert Walker

John Price

Post by John Price » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi Rob,

Top tip.

I would look out more and be aware of who's around, than spend too much time fretting over the perfect pattern.

Aircraft seldom have near misses with AIC's and maps!

At the risk of stating the 'bleedin obvious' regardless of what it says on the bits of paper, if it appears to be getting dangerous, it doesn't matter what corner you cut, just so long as everyone gets safely on the ground.

John.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 am

...and as far as I know, there were no incidents of note in the arrivals procedure. People deploy their innate patience and airmanship :lol:

Many thanks to Sywell, for everything in their remit, the Rally team, likewise, Nigel and the marshalling team, everyone for turning up...it was a good 'un.

The catering concessions were good, too, particularly the pizza van. I asked how long they were open and told they'd been told the vans were expected to close at 18:00, though they'd be happy to serve all the while there were customers to make it worthwhile. I can understand that, but it would be good to have those alternatives to Hangar 1 and the hotel a little longer into the evening.

We seem to have spent the whole summer flying into places, eating, drinking tea* and talking rubbish. Life is good.

* Usually...
Nic Orchard

ivor

Post by ivor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:53 am

John Price wrote:Hi Rob,

Top tip.

I would look out more and be aware of who's around, than spend too much time fretting over the perfect pattern.

Aircraft seldom have near misses with AIC's and maps!

At the risk of stating the 'bleedin obvious' regardless of what it says on the bits of paper, if it appears to be getting dangerous, it doesn't matter what corner you cut, just so long as everyone gets safely on the ground.

John.
It was a good flyin this year but it would be nice if the Map coordinates shown on the AIC corresponded to the actual position shown on the Map around pitford water , Perhaps next year they will have sorted it out

ivor
Ivor Phillips
Europa XS

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 am

Alan Kilbride wrote:Join at Pitsford. If any one is front, foller the beggar, if not go into downwind and when on final and only then---call final. Land. Go to the bar. Congratulate yourself with a beer.
Remember, Keep a good lookout and a good eye on 'im in front. The fellers behind have nowt to do wi' you.
Relax and enjoy it. It's only once a year, most Pilots don't have a heart attack and contrary to common belief, most of them don't cut in front inverted, with smoke to balk you.
Nicely put Alan.. :D [ where's that bloody "Like" button]

Oh and Nic , you keep going on about that pizza van . So is that how you keep your sylphlike figure.?. :D

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I do, don't I? I tried to post it here first, but the board wasn't working (for me) for a couple of days.

I think the number of times we walked across to the tent and back may have mitigated some of the effects. That, plus the amount of time standing & chatting to people, which doesn't count as sedentary in my definition.... :wink:
Nic Orchard